Chapter Three

Yeah, I'm surprised I updated too.

Chapter Three - And Thomas

Thomas grinned from ear to ear as he settled into his old room. He had talked with his mom downstairs for awhile before heading to bed. He made sure that Penelope was sleeping before he pulled out his phone. After two rings an irritated voice came through.

"Hello?" Dane said sleepily.

"Man, I think I'm in love." Thomas replied, flopping down onto his twin sized bed from when he was a teenager.

Dane coughed a few times looking back at the caller ID. "Thomas, I love your jokes and all, but it's two in the morning."

Thomas rolled his eyes. "Dude, I'm serious. I met this girl today and she was just..wow. I wish you could've seen her. She was tall, but not too tall. Like the kind of tall that slightly intimidates men, but draws them in at the same time," he rambled, "you know what I mean?"

Dane let out a sigh as he tiredly rubbed his eyes. "No, Thomas, I don't know what you mean-" he replied just asThomas cut him off.

"Oh, and I forgot to tell you about her hair. It was so long and so black. Like fine silk made by the hands of angels."

Dane frowned hardly as he pulled his phone away from his ear again, looking back at the brightly lit screen, trying to make sure that he was actually awake and that this wasn't just some fever induced dream. He placed the phone back to his ear and listened to his friend continue on.

"-but the game changer was her skin. It's like milk chocolate, smooth and -"

"Whoa there," Dane suddenly interrupted. "what's up with you and Jack suddenly deciding to stick your hand in the cookie jar? You like black girls? Since when?" He asked skeptically.

Thomas fiddled with the front of his t shirt as he absentmindedly replied. "Since Kaitlyn."

"Don't let Jack hear you say that." He warned.

"Chill out." Thomas let out a laugh, "It's not like I'm going to go and declare my undying love to her anytime soon. It was just a silly crush, plus, I'm not stupid. Jack would kill me if he knew that I had had romantic thoughts about his wife at one point in time." He looked up at the white ceiling of his room, thinking about the woman he had met at the bakery for the fifth time that day.

       "I had never really thought about dating outside of my race until Kaitlyn and now I just met this woman from the bakery a few hours ago and I can't get her off of my mind."

Dane made a gagging sound into the phone, causing Thomas to chuckle.

"Oh grow up," he said, "When are you ever going to get over being afraid of actually wanting to be in a relationship that isn't just another one night stand?"

Dane snorted. "The day that you grow a serious bone in your body." He shot back. He looked over at his clock and groaned. It was already three a.m. and he had to be up in two hours to meet some girl he had met at the airport earlier that day.

"Look, it's been fun, but I gotta get some sleep. I have an important meeting to attend to in the morning." He lied.

Thomas rolled his eyes. "It's a woman isn't it?" He asked, already knowing the answer.

"Yes, so if you'll excuse me, I need my rest." He was about to end the call but stopped, "And Thomas." Dane said over the receiver.

"Yes, daddy Dane." Thomas replied sweetly.

Dane fought the urge to roll his eyes at his idiot friend. "Don't do anything stupid. Sleep around with the woman if you want, but don't get attached. Do you understand?"

"Yes." He said sarcastically.

"And Thomas." Dane called once more.

"Yeah?"

"The next time you call me at two in the morning, I'm deleting your number. Goodnight." He replied dully, hitting the end button.