Strength to Love Him Forever

Author's Note:

Dear Readers,

Hello! This is a one-shot I collaborated with Christine-1990 on during this past week. It is based on the unmasking scene from the 1990 verison staring Charles Dance.

Please go check out her books and follow her! She's a great person!

sarahlet2999

-----------------------------------

Water dripped in the caverns beyond the lake and echoed over the water towards the odd little windowpane-less house. The blue light, reflecting from lanterns off the lake, bounced and lit Christine's face as she leaned on a window sill and watched the play of ripples from the droplets falling from the stone ceiling across the surface of the water.

The sounds of a flute caught her attention, drawing her to pick-up a candelabra and go in search of the beautiful playing. Following the sound, she left the lake front room and went deeper into the darkness of the house, finding the door from which the sound emanated. Opening it, she peered around the door and saw a beautiful baby grand piano and, standing beside it, her unmasked Maestro with his back turned towards her and his mask resting on the lid of the baby grand.

Having heard her approach, Erik cut the piece short and quickly set down his flute. Without turning to her, he reached to his side and brought the mask to his face. Pivoting to face her as he tied the ribbons in the back of his hair, he spoke, attempting to break the ice.

"Good morning! Did you sleep well? I like that room. Good cozy bed, pleasant water view." He paused for a moment hoping for her to say something. When she didn't, he continued. "Well, what should we do today? Hm?" He clapped his hands together. "I have an idea, how about a picnic?"

Christine stared at him incredulously and laughed quietly.

"A picnic?"

"Yes! Down through the woods, there's a quiet little spot I know, we won't be interrupted there and while we stroll, I can show you where I live! My, domain!" He walked over to his dresser choosing a dashing straw hat with a large black ribbon tied around its base. "Hat, do you think? Formal touch?"

She only stood and looked at him which made his nerves a little more uneasy.

"Hm? Yes, I think so too. And of course, a walking cane." He paused to smile briefly at her. "And to complete our little outing," he paused again to tap the pre-made wicker picnic basket with the end of his long black cane. "Voila." He walked gracefully to Christine's side offering her his arm.

"Shall we go?" He asked smoothly all the while his nerves fought to get the better of him. She hesitated for a second, before accepting his arm while gently smiling. As her hand curled around his arm, his heart raced. Desperately hoping she couldn't hear the pounding, he lead her to the french doors and waited for them to open of their own accord, another one of his many 'magic' tricks. Without the barrier of the doors, the music from the practice on the upper floors of the opera house increased in volume, providing the perfect feel for his intended arrangement.

Strong and confident, he lead her from the house and around the edge of the lake. After passing through several stone caverns, lodged deep in the bowels of the Opera House, they reached the large stone arch. As they crossed into the forested space before them, he attempted to make conversation again.

"Do you like these woods of mine?" He started.

"Yes, very much." She replied, staring around them at the large stand of trees that spread beneath the Opera House.