Lost in a Coffin's World

Author's Note:

Dear Readers,

I'm sure after reading this, you will all ask, "Where did Sarah's sanity go? Did she loose it somewhere along the way?" Well, I don't know if I did or not but here you go, a piece of insanity from somewhere inside my brain.

sarahlet2999

P.S. It is written in present tense instead of past. This is my first time trying something like this, so bear with me.

---------------------------------------------------

A coffin is a box where the mortal remains of men, women, and children of the human race are entombed and sealed under the earth or in a vault. Though I have never considered myself part of that culture, I have always been absolutely fascinated with coffins. They are such elegant things, built to fit the need of every corpse laid into them. They are morbid enough to draw some close and drive others away.

Also, they are ridiculously comfortable for sleeping in. Partly their build but then there is the addition of knowing that if one dies while one sleeps, one shall be properly laid to rest with little trouble upon anyone. I have often remarked that everyone should have a coffin where they reside.

But, no one has ever agreed with me on the subject. Perhaps that is another of my many eccentricities.

This eccentricity, unlike the rest, will follow me past the grave as I now lie in the coffin of my own design, waiting for the Angel of Death, a title I once held, to come and take away whatever soul he could find inside this monster's body.

I have not eaten for days and I don't recall the last time water passed my lips. My belly cries from my neglect but my muscles are too atrophied to twitch, let alone carry me far enough to reach nourishment.

For some time, I have been in a black haze. At the beginning I was still somewhat cognizant but now I have no knowledge of my surroundings and neither do I care.

I have remained in the coffin long enough to utterly soil my garments and the coffin itself but none of it matters. No one will see poor unhappy Erik like this. She isn't even likely to return. As much as I believed in her goodness and faithfulness to return, her young man will never allow her return.

No, Erik will die alone and friendless as he was brought into the world. Many times I have wondered why God ever allowed my parents to come together the night I was conceived. I have always believed, if there was a God, that he created me for his own amusement.

Yet, now, as I lay on my death bed I wonder if he truly is so bad. He can't be as he did grant me two delights before my end. I kissed her forehead and she kissed mine. Indeed, it was the greatest bliss I could ever enjoy and one I thought never to enjoy.

Perhaps there are other pleasures which humans might call far more attractive than a simple brush of the lips against the boney cranium but there isn't for me. A kiss has been my desire all my long life. A simple kiss. The gift I asked for on my fifth birthday, the thing I coveted when the harem girl was brought before me, and the compassion I received before I sent her away.

She. I believe that is the reason of my timely demise. My heart, though abnormally weak, would still keep pounding for many years had it not been for her.

Now, I do not blame her for it. In truth, I thank her in a way. There are worse ways a person or monster can die than of love though I can't think of any at the moment.

No, I cannot blame her for finally laying my worthless carcass to rest in the box where it has periodically lain during the past few decades. Indeed, that was the purpose I had originally intended for my coffin. Yes, this is assuredly for the best.