Phantom of the Opera Theory

Author's Note:

Dear Readers,

So, I was out walking my dog today and decided to spend some time thinking about the various Phantom of the Opera films and the many differences between the main six. And, I had an odd revelation which sparked a theory in my mind about each of those movies. And, I thought I'd share it with you so you might think and talk about it among yourselves. I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments! So, here we go!

My theory is the following: that each of the Phantom of the Opera films are related and showcase one side of Erik's character. In the original novel by Gaston Leroux, Erik is a many-facetted player in the story and has many angles from which to work. It is my belief that the scrip writers and directors of all the prominent films picked an angle that hadn't been used yet and wrote their movie based around it.

In the 1925 film with Lon Chaney as the Phantom, the horror side of him is decidedly the overarching theme. From the deformity, to the mask, to the feel of the film everything points to horror, keeping in tune with one of the largest themes of the book.

In the 1943 version with Claude Rains, the obsessive side of his character is shown and even a seriously major plot point to the whole story while the rest it is just a motivational force driving him to do crazy things.

In the 1962 version starting Herbert Lom, the main story-line revolves around his obsession with his music, almost to the exclusion of all else. *SPOILER* He doesn't even love Christine but instead only wants her voice and is willing to do anything to get it to sing his music properly.

In the 1989 with Robert Englund as Erik, the story is dripping with blood (at times, literally) and I believe this is a way of casting his deadly side, the side that kills and does, in a way, take pleasure the shedding of blood.

In the 1990 with Charles Dance (of Game of Thrones fame), there is a decided leaning towards his romantic side with only a few hints of his hot temper and insane sides. It is definitely a romantic and far less horrific telling of the Phantom of the Opera book (and, oddly enough, it is my favorite. I love this movie!).

And, finally, in the 2004/Play version (yes, I lumped these two together due to the many similarities), his suave, seductive side is pushed forward and flaunted. This is accented by the casting of generally handsome men and the wearing of only a half mask, lending itself to the "highwayman" look that has captured the hearts of women for years.

Moreover, the masks and deformities imply these different sides. The '25 with its, I am not ashamed to say, horrifying appearance is all to give the impression of fear and terror. The '89 with its gruesome sewing and blood was all to further the idea of a killer. And, the '04 I have already mentioned.

So, in conclusion, while each of us may favor a different movie (I know I do) and while the films deviated from the original story, they never did deviate from the original theme (the only exception being the Phantom movie no speaks of). Each simply took a trait and ran with it, creating their own story around it and giving a wider, more expanded view of Erik than a short book ever could, or, even the longer edition by Susan Kay.

So, if y'all know of any other Phantom of the Opera versions that I haven't mentioned above (or even any spin offs), please comment them! I'd love to continue expanding my knowledge of Erik.

sarahlet2999