Twenty-Two

Things between Craven and I stayed tense, but we slipped into being somewhat friendly again. Sam, Dana, and Alex all ended up in the hospital. I did too but only for a day. They kept the others for observation, leaving me to pick up the slack at the shop. I got a temporary boost to Assistant Manager—which meant I got to be in charge of opening and closing. Between studying for Finals, working on my end of the year paper, and running the book store, I didn't get a single minute to myself. Visiting my friends was mostly out of the question as well.

Craven didn't heal everything, bruises still covered most of me—I was very thankful winter was quickly approaching. Long sleeves hid the worst of it, needless to say I wouldn't be wearing anything that really showed off my cleavage for a while.

Minutes before close, as I poured over a now twice read copy of Midsummer's Night Dream, the chimes at the door rang drawing my attention from the pages of my book.

Adair stood in the doorway, the gold in his eyes twisted as he stared at me and for a split second I swore that color wasn't gold at all but a deep blood red. Consciously or unconsciously since the phone call I made from the hospital we avoided each other.

Everything moved slow as he turned his attention from me and walked back to the Urban Fantasy section.

The realization of why he came into the shop on a Friday at close stung. I rarely worked Friday close out front, normally it was Alex's shift. If I did work it, I spent my time in the back doing inventory.

Beep. Beep. Beep. The alarm on my phone went off letting me know I had to close up. With heavy footsteps I walked to the door and locked it before turning the sign over.

"Did you get Night Huntress in? I didn't see it back there." As always Adair's voice made me want to stand up at attention.

"Let me check." I walked back to the counter and searched for the book's name in our database. "No, that book comes out in December."

"Oh."

"Yeah."

Adair straightened the stack of books in front of him on the counter. This time he dove into the paranormal romances—every last one about a werewolf and human. His cheeks held a slight blush as I started ringing them up.

"If you're embarrassed to buy these maybe you should use this magical thing called the internet and order your books there," I quipped putting the books in a bag. "Fourty-six seventy."

"Then I'd miss the company." His eyes met mine but his usual flirtation lacked his charming infectious grin. Instead a certain hesitant sadness replaced it.

Was it wrong to want him and Craven? Yes, the answer was unequivocally yes, but not because there was something wrong with polyamory.

Any relationship involving Adair would be pure selfishness on my behalf. He'd lose part of himself to me and destroy my life, not because he wanted to but because instinct pulled him there. Still I had a fleeting thought of waking up sandwiched between both Craven and Adair's warm bodies.

Why is the universe so cruel? I mean I guess I could try to start things again with Craven. But...

The receipt had printed up, but I never moved to grab it. Adair and I stared at each other in silence. He didn't make a move to tell me the transaction had gone through.

"Are things... better?" I asked, taking the receipt from the register.

He nodded solemnly. "Somewhat."