Sixteen

Alex grabbed one of the costumes on the rack, tilting the plastic package to get a better look at the picture.

"Sexy Goldfish," she laughed.

We found ourselves at a big box store shopping for our Halloween costumes the morning of the party—because procrastination. We did not have fancy costume shop money. Being students meant we could swing the big box store or the drug store.

Since we waited until the absolute last possible moment, specialty Halloween stores simply weren't an option—even if they had anything in stock, which they wouldn't. They hiked up their prices the closer it go to the thirty first.

Dana and Sam already had their costumes, Craven too. My only partner in procrastination was Alex.

"I just want a non-sexy costume. Is that too much to ask?" Alex whined as we made our way down the aisle.

"Nope. But good luck with that the pickin's are slim, my dear."

"What about you?"

"I'm going for sexy. Tonight Craven's going to screw me, or have a really uncomfortable evening. There will be no third option!" I beamed at my friend before tearing through the racks. Nothing was orderly. Everything was disorganized like a tornado had gone through and in some ways that was fairly accurate. Nothing says chaos quite like last minute holiday shopping.

"How about this?" She picked up a wizard robe and wand.

"Sam would lose her shit. Do it."

"Oh, I'm going to. Pick anything yet?"

"Nah." I continued excavating the racks.

At the back of one I found the perfect thing, sexy pixie. It was just a tiny skirt made of varying shades of neon gossamer that was so short it was practically fringe barely covering the model's panties. There were also hole-y hot pink thigh highs, hot pink and teal fake wings, a bunch of scraps of pink and teal sheer fabric that was supposed to be tied to your arms and a top which was literally a string bikini made of more of that filmy flowy fabric.

All signs pointed to me freezing my ass off, but I had a cute pair of sandals that'd go great with it.

"What do you think?" I brandished the package while climbing from behind the rack.

"You'll look spectacular."

My Alex, what a sexy British accent you've developed in ten minutes.

Scurrying from between the press of the larger costumes I popped out to find Adair standing across the aisle from me and Alex no where to be found.

"Where'd Alex go?"

"She's in there." He pointed to the other rack where the plastic packages appeared to move on their own.

"Last minute costume shopping?"

"Kind of. I couldn't find my fangs." He held up the small package of fake fangs in his hand.

"Vampire?"

"Nope, dire-werewolf."

"What?"

"A Sidhe Werewolf kind of."

"Oh. I didn't know Sidhe could contract lycanthropy."

"They can't."