Barbeque: Part One

Start from the beginning

He looked at his watch before raising an eyebrow.
"So, what I'm hearing is, that I have some time alone with you?" He questioned suggestively, a hopeful tone to his voice. He moved closer to me, not too close, but enough that I could smell his familiar scent and, suddenly, my breathing was laboured again.

Recomposing myself, I placed a hand on his firm chest before he could move any further. He smirked at my actions and I frowned in response.
"Well, I think you should get your ears checked because you heard wrong." I retorted, narrowing my eyes at his looming figure.

Aaron's smirk widened at this, he moved back slightly, so my palm was touching the air, and folded his arms.
"You know, you've been mad at me since Tuesday. I think I know why, but then again, I'd rather not take a wrong guess and have my head cut off, so you might as well share." He concluded, gesturing for me to talk.

I rolled my eyes at his words, scoffing slightly.
"Oh no, Aaron. You don't have to spare any time on little old me. Justin's 'oh so attractive' sister will be here in a while. I'll leave all the 'sharing' to her." I snapped back sarcastically, placing a hand to my chest, in mock empathy. 

Aaron processed my words slowly and then his eyes widened slightly. He dragged a hand through his hair before speaking.
"Wow, okay, I guess I really didn't know why you were mad." He muttered more to himself than to me. I tutted at his words before turning to leave, but Aaron's hand on my arm stopped my movements. I looked up to see him smiling at me. No, not his playful smile, but that genuine smile of his that did wondrous things to my already unstable heart.

He moved me closer with the hand that was on my arm.
"Lexi, I was joking. You know, I love seeing you like this." He let out and I rolled my eyes again.

"Like what? Angry? Well, congratulations, you got what you wished for." I snapped, before trying to get out of his hold, despite knowing I wouldn't be successful. He was strong, something I discovered when I looked at the muscled arms that tensed everytime I tried to pull away.

My attempts to escape didn't phase him, in the least and he continued smiling down at me.
"I didn't mean it like that, Lexi. I just love seeing you get jealous. I wasn't serious about anything I said but, damn, the look on your face. It kills me everytime." He said, looking at me as though I was an angel that just descended from heaven. I recovered quickly, from the shock of what he said, and nudged him slightly. He didn't budge, but I carried on with my words.

"Save it for someone who cares." I muttered before cringing internally at my childish retort.

Could you not have thought of anything better than that?

Aaron didn't cringe like I did but, instead,  laughed at my words. He pulled me into a hug and I could feel the vibrations of his laugh against my cheek. I struggled against his hold, but relaxed when I felt him let out a deep sigh.
"God, I love you." He let out quietly to which a sudden silence descended upon the garden. Nothing but the chirping of the birds and the sound of the wind hitting the grass could be heard. And, I broke the silence with the worst word of choice.

"Thanks."

And then another stretch of silence settled, much longer and awkward than the one before it.

Suddenly, the hold that Aaron had on my arm loosened and he moved back. I looked up to see a ghost of a smile on his lips. He motioned towards the garden door.
"Danny's here." He said simply before moving towards him.

I followed behind him, feeling regret at my choice of words. I smiled up at Danny who walked towards us in his usual cocky manner. He came to a halt in front of us and pulled Aaron into his death grip to which Aaron winced.
"Hey, dude, how have you been?" His boomed, ripping through the silence that had settled upon the garden previously. He turned to me afterwards and slapped a hand against my arm affectionately.