12

The car ride to the Hansen household was mostly silent, the hum of the car motor slightly drowning out Evan's muffled crying and coughing occasionally. Heidi kept her lips pursed down, not sure what to say because she couldn't see Evan sign back or even motion back.

But, she spoke up anyway.

"What happened?" She asked quietly. "Was if the different dosage? Did someone do something? Was it a teacher?"

Evan took a deep breath and shook his head. He just wanted to get home. That's all he wanted.

Well, his wish was granted as they pulled into the driveway, and he frantically tried to jam open the door but it was locked.

"Evan, could you maybe tell me what happened?" Heidi asked sweetly, not wanting Evan to lock himself in his room for another two days straight with no food again.

He just looked over at her, completely distressed and just wanting to run, tear tracks still stuck to his cheeks.

Evan took his pen out and hesitated to write on his own skin. It was really something he had only done once he had started to talk to Connor and hadn't really done it to most people.

I didn't want to be touched I've been anxious all week and I just broke I'm so sorry.

He tried to proof read his one sentence but it was practically illegible, so he showed his mom and hoped she couldn't read it, just for the best.

"I'll give you some space," Heidi sighed and unlocked the doors, leaving Evan to scurry out of the car and run inside as fast as he could.

Evan just, well, ran to his room. He took the key from above the door frame and slammed the door close behind him as he scrambled into his bedroom, then locked the door. Without the key, Heidi couldn't get in, so that meant Evan had enough time to think and enough space to breath.

But after a good half an hour of ignoring texts from everyone and anyone, huddling in his blankets in the corner of his room and mindlessly blasting relaxing music through his earbuds, he got tired and lonely.

He realized after being around Connor so much he just wanted to talk to Connor.

So, he picked up his phone, reading the three messages Connor texted him.

CM<3: Ev, u doing ok?

CM<3: if you ever need me to be there I'll gladly skip class for you

CM<3: respond when you get these, no rush, and if you need space just tell me, stay safe and all that. love you Ev.

Evan quickly typed a response.

EH: hey con sorry I haven't been on my phone but I'm pretty alright right now, thank you for everything

CM<3: no prob!! I told Alana you said thanks and she says it wasn't a problem and she got mad anxiety attacks too

CM<3: do you need anything?

EH: I don't know. I just don't want to be here right now.

CM<3: is that referencing your house or..

EH: yes don't worry I wouldn't go too far too quick

CM<3: just text me if you ever have any thoughts like that, promise?

EH: promise.

CM<3: do you want me to come over?

EH: wouldn't you get in trouble?

CM<3: no, I'm pretty good at this stuff Ev. Plus, if I did it would be worth it to see my lovely boyfriend