chapter fifteen

Kara's fingers drummed on the steering wheel, as Lena flipped through the radio stations.
"This was really sweet of Alex to do," Lena began, finally settling on a song. "She really cares about you."
"She's a good sister," Kara smiled, as Lena took one of the pamphlets off the dashboard.
She flipped through the pages, and read aloud, "fun activities in our quaint little town include skiing, dog-sledding, ice-fishing, ice skating- oh, I've never done that, that would be fun-"
"-what?" Kara yelped, immediately turning to Lena. "Are you kidding me? Is that a joke?"
Lena chuckled, shaking her head, and Kara's jaw dropped. "That's the very first thing we're doing," she decided. "It's settled."
"Well," Lena said, raising her eyebrows, "second thing."
Kara quickly leaned over and kissed her, grinning through her teeth. "Second thing."
The wheels sped along the highway, and with a soft, sweet voice, she sang along with the radio. "I was an island, before you came along."
Lena joined in, her voice soulful and shaky all at once, "put your boat in my sand, your hand in my hand, your heart in my song."
Kara reached over and squeezed Lena's thigh. As the chorus began, they belted together, "I can't do this alone anymore, 'cause I'm no good on my own anymore..."
The sun ascended into the clouds, a rosy pink tainting the ashy sky. The world was quiet, except for their music pouring out the car windows, and mingling with the misty air.
---
"Woah- woah!" Lena muttered, reaching out nervously, grasping Kara's arms through her fuzzy white gloves.
"I've got you," Kara giggled, sliding closer and taking her in her warmth. "I'm not leaving you."
Lena slowly intertwined her hands behind Kara's neck, gazing into her eyes. Snow softly fell on her hair as she leaned in for a comforting kiss on the freezing lake. "I'd say this was worth the trip," she mused, shifting on the blades of her skates.
"Definitely."
The women glanced around at the scene before them- the drive was long, but Lena was correct in her observation. It was definitely worth it. Trees tall as buildings (according to Kara), rustling with snow that collapsed in clumps at the trunks, and a thick layer of ice blanketing the lake. Lena was hesitant to skate- what if I fall through - but Kara comforted her- I'll catch you.
(Really, they had Alex to thank. When Kara excitedly mentioned that it was their six month anniversary, Alex immediately found them a bed and breakfast that was far, far away from the city. "I can't accept this," Lena had protested, shaking her head, but Alex practically shoved the pamphlets into her hand.)
"How is it possible you've never been skating?" Kara asked, teasingly swirling a circle around her girlfriend.
"I don't know," Lena said, laughing, "we didn't take many family vacations as kids!"
"Well, here's your family vacation," Kara replied, grabbing her hand and gliding along the borders of the ice. Her blades went along effortlessly, Lena's blades scratching slow yet steady. Kara's hair was layered around her shoulders, ice crystals licking each bouncing curl.
Lena gazed at her as if she was a masterpiece. "You're so beautiful," she said, as Kara pulled her into the center of the lake, holding her waist.
"Stop it," Kara blushed, tucking one of Lena's stray locks behind her ear. "Not as beautiful as you."
Taking her hand and stroking Kara's cheek, Lena whispered, "I am so in love with you, Kara Danvers." She kissed her cheek, leaving a soft remnant of her favorite color.
It was their color.