Remembering

Logan trudged through the mansion, his motorcycle helmet dangling in his hand. He had just delivered the most difficult news in his life. He'd felt the earth quaking as he had rode away from the brotherhood boarding school just moments before.

He felt tears well up in his eyes as he hurried to his room, he couldn't have any of the students see him like this. As he open the door to his room he heard a voice, which he so desperately wanted to ignore. He couldn't do that to him though.

Logan got his breath together and turned towards the voice. He looked down at the kid, "Hey Jamie." Logan's voice cracked as he started talking.

Jamie is the youngest one at the institute, he only just turn 13.

"Is kitty..." He sniffed, "Is she really." His vision got blurry from the tears that were trying to break free, but he didn't want to cry in front of Mr. Logan.

Logan looked down at the kid, "Come here Jamie. I've got something to tell you." He said as he opened his door and stepped in motioning for the young boy to follow him.

Jamie was surprised by this, no one besides Kitty, Ororo, Xavier, and Kurt had been in his room. Jamie stepped into the room as Logan closed the door behind him.

"You know when ever half-pi... I mean Kitty wasn't doing so great or was sad about something I'd have her sit down in here and she would tell me what was wrong."

That was the first time he had ever let someone see him break. He remembered countless times of her being extremely sad, he didn't know how but he could just feel when she was upset. "Half-pint?" He'd half say, half ask her. She would reply by stifling a sob.

"You wanna tell me what's wrong just like she does, uh did?" Logan didn't stop himself in time.

Jamie nodded his head, "I miss her Mr. Logan. Is this really happening?"

"We all miss her kid, she made things... better." He couldn't think of a word to describe how she made everyone feel. Nobody could hate Kitty, he didn't believe that was even possible. "Jamie, it's time to face the truth, I don't think she's gonna be back here anytime soon." He wasn't just saying that to Jamie he realized.

Sometimes when he talked to her she had helped him more than he had helped her.

"Half-pint?" Logan looked down at kitty only several months earlier.

Kitty looked up at him tears forming in her eyes. She didn't have to say anything she just followed Logan.

"What's wrong kitty?" Logan would ask her. He was glad that no one else was around because he didn't want them to hear him say something that he didn't want anyone to know, not even Xavier.

"Logan I feel like someone is controlling my life! Like my parents, or like someone. I'm not even sure what I'm talking about! I just don't wanna be like a totally stupid puppet on a string, you know!"

That was a talk that had helped both of them severely, this was one of the ones where she had helped him more than he had helped her. She was eighteen at the time. He was sure that people thought it was weird that he would talk to the girl like she was still a child. But he had taken over as a sort of 'father role' with her.

"Hey half-pint." He would say as tears trickled down her face. "Have you ever heard of weapon X?"

He had explained to her all about how they had controlled his life, how they had inserted a chip in his brain and had controlled him for a big part of his life.

"I don't want her to be gone." Jamie said interrupting his thoughts. There were tears running down Jamie's face. Logan looked at the kid thoughtfully; he can't get all mushy he thought to himself. He didn't mind letting kitty see what he could be like. After all he got back at her when he let the danger room kick her ass during training sessions.

"Jamie, I know this is going to be difficult. But do you think that Kitty would want us to be sad that she... passed or happy that she lived?"

Jamie looked up, he didn't look as sad as before Logan noticed. "We have to be happy, Kitty I'm happy that you lived!" Jamie said to the air around him.

"Ok now get going, you've got a danger room session in a little while."

"Oh man!" Jamie moaned as he stood up and walked out of the room.

Logan smiled as Jamie shut the door behind him. Why did he have to be so good with kids Logan thought to himself?