Intro

"A moment of silence please." Hank McCoy asked as he lowered his head.

He could just hear Hank talking and see everything from the tree he had hid in. He felt tears well up in his eyes; the impact of the event had finally hit him. No he thought to himself. This can't be happening, she can't be... she's not. As Lance tried to make up excuse after excuse about how she couldn't actually be... well you know. But he couldn't stop from feeling like he had failed her, that she was actually... dead.

He had promised her only two months before that he wouldn't let harm come to her as long as there was something he would be able to do about it. She left on an investigation mission with Logan only seven days earlier. She had told him she would be careful, that nothing would happen. She'd said that they would probably be back in two or three days, that there was nothing really dangerous up there.

Lance wasn't exactly close to the x-men even though he had helped stop Apocalypse not that long ago. They just didn't trust him. He would call Rogue every day though, just to ask if Kitty had got back yet. She answered and would tell him the same thing for the first three days that, "Logan and her haven't gotten back yet." The fourth day that he hadn't heard from Kitty he called Rogue again. She didn't answer the phone, so he just left a voicemail, "Hey Rogue, has Kitty gotten back yet? Oh and Logan of course! Just call me back when you get this." She didn't call back that night. Something was wrong he had thought only two days before this moment.

He was just about to head towards the institute when he saw Logan ride up on his motorcycle. Lance opened the door, he wasn't expecting Logan to come by. But if he was here than Kitty must be back he thought as he met Logan on the bottom step. He didn't look so good Lance thought to himself. His hair was a mess, and he had dark circles under his eyes.

"Uh, hi Logan." Lance said hesitantly.

"Hey kid." Logan said weakly as he looked up at Lance.

Had he been crying? "What are you doing here?" Lance asked ignoring the fact that a faint line of clear skin had been showing through his dirty face. He ignored the fact that it looked as though a tear had wash the dirt away.

"I uh..." Logan choked as he talked. "I just came by to tell you that..." He stopped again and Lance could've sworn there were tears in his eyes. "Kitty, she..."

The first thing that rushed in to Lance's head was that kitty was hurt, she's in the infirmary. I've got to go see her. These thoughts rushed through his mind but he had never been expecting what came next.

Logan took a deep breath and said, "She's dead." Logan looked back down and wiped a tear that had leaked out of his eye.

"What?" Lance shouted in surprise. His mind was racing. What happened? Is this some kind of sick joke? Logan isn't that good of an actor is he? All these things and more raced through his head as his heart seemed to stop.

"They got us, they got her... I know you two were... close. I thought you should know."

Lance was stunned this can't be happening he thought. He laughed, "This isn't a very funny joke, I could've had a heart attack!" He said. His breath was a little shaky.

Logan simply looked up at him. "This is a joke, right?" Lance asked desperately.

"I wish it was kid. I really wish it was." Logan turned and walked back to his motorcycle and rode off just like that.

It took a little while for Lance to realize that he hadn't been breathing. He turned and walked up the steps, he stood on the porch and slowly opened the door. Wanda walked past him to go sit in the living room with Fred and Todd. Pietro ran past Lance sending his hair across his face. He didn't care. He just kept walking. He slowly scaled the steps and walked to his room.

"What's up with him?" Pietro asked the other members of the brotherhood as they heard his door slam. A quick shake shook the whole house as Lance yelled at himself and everything else.

"I don't know, but that x-geek was up front just a few minutes ago." Todd said as he hopped over to the stairs.

"Wanna go find out?" Pietro asked slyly.