Katelyn couldn't wait until after the ceremony to give me my graduation present. Her and her mom just flew in. Like, bags still in their rental cars. They refused to miss any part of the ceremony to go home and change. It warmed my heart.

And Katelyn couldn't wait to give me my graduation gift. Apparently because I was starting a new chapter in my life by graduation, I needed to have this present before I started the new chapter.

"Hi," she beamed at me before wrapping me in a hug.

"It's good to see you." I held her at arms length and beamed at her.

"You too, even though I'm not allowed to be back here." She smiled before reaching into her purse and retrieving a small gift box.

"You didn't have to get me a present."

"I know but I wanted you to have this because I want you to know that I'm proud of you. And although we aren't blood related, we're not less sisters as two biological sisters." She smiled at me and I pulled her into another hug.

If only she knew.

She pulled me away and handed me the present again. With a smile on my face, I grabbed it from her and opened it.

A dainty, rose gold bracelet with a heart shaped pendent was nestled in the box on top of a small card. I smiled up at Katelyn before picking up the necklace.

"Wow," I smiled in awe.

I am not a jewelry wearer. But this is simple and elegant enough that I would wear it everyday and never get annoyed with it.

"Read the card." She beamed up at me and I picked up the small card.

"Side by side, or miles apart. We are sisters, connected by the heart." I read and my eyes stung with tears.

"I love it," I grinned and she held up her hand before looking up at me.

"I have one too,"

I hugged her and blinked back tears before telling her I loved her. My phone vibrating in my pocket made me pull away and I reached under my graduation gown and into my dress pocket for my phone.

Dad's caller ID popped in the screen and I pressed answer.

"Hello,"

"Hey pumpkin," he greeted and I turned away from Katelyn. With that greeting alone, I already knew what his next words were going to be.

It's the same words he said to me at my fifth grade graduation. At the national spelling bee. At any life achievements where a parent is supposed to be there to support their child.

"I know how important this day is and I really wish the circumstances were different, but I am not going to make it to your graduation on time."

I was prepared for this words, but this one time. It was difficult to grasp.

It hurt.

"Okay," I replied. The same replied I always gave.

"Please have Jenifer record it for me. I'm really sorry I won't be there on time."

"Okay," I replied again.

He muttered some goodbye and I pulled the phone away from my ear before ending the call.

"What's going on?" Katelyn asked as I stared at the phone in my hand.

"He's not coming." I muttered before handing her the phone.