"I was to be housesitting while my house is being exterminated."

"Is that so? I was not aware of such news. Again where is William?"

"He had an important speaking engagement come up at the last minute. I dropped him at the airport earlier in the evening."

"That's just great," I exclaimed walking away in a huff. My life was in shambles and the leaning post I needed now was off in the wind.

"Is there anything I can do for you?"

"No," I tried to hide the tears that were threatening to escape. I had all but forgot I even had company that quickly. "Thank you Deacon Tibbs but I'm fine." Turning around, I was startled to see he was entirely too close for comfort. His steps are too dang light.

"Are you really? Your tears state otherwise, why are you crying? Does the Pastor leaving so much cause you this much strain?" He'd reached out with a gentle hand to wipe away my tears but I cringed away out of instinct. Sidestepping the good deacon, I put some much-needed space between us.

"No, no it's nothing of that magnitude. Of course, I was desperately looking to speak with him but... it's just some family problems. Nothing that can't wait until he returns I suppose." I tried to sound brave as possible for I truly felt awkward speaking to the creepy deacon while I was in my pajamas. I could swear he knew what I looked like naked. It was just a weird feeling I got when I was in his presence.

"Where did you say he went again?"

"I didn't say but he is in Nevada."

"Las Vegas?"

"Yes ma'am, at a convention, I believe."

"How appropriate," I smirked finding the irony in the situation, the good preacher going to Sin City for a convention.

"How so?"

"What?"

"You stated, 'how appropriate,' I asked how so?"

"Nothing, it's an inside joke."

"I hope it won't be a problem with me staying here until my house is completed. Pastor seemed alright with it but I know you probably need to speak with him on the matter." He asked knowing that he'd already gotten clearance from William. How could I tell him that I wasn't comfortable with a strange man in my house while I slept?

"I was waiting for William to return my call anyway but if he gave you the green light, it's fine. I guess I will turn in. Do you need help finding anything? The guestroom down here is already furnished with all of the necessities."

"Actually Pastor had me put my things in the guestroom next to you all's, will that be a problem? I can move my things down here if that is preferable." Again, I was floored at the man's situation and now where he will be laying his head, so close was not easing my spirit one bit.

"If you are already settled, by all means," I spoke with a forced smile.

"Thank you; I really appreciate your hospitality. I promise not to be of any trouble and if you need anything-anything, don't hesitate to let me know. Consider me a stand in for Pastor."

"Thank you for offering, good night." Bidding him good night added even more awkwardness to the situation than to know that he was only a door away from my room. This was not sitting well with me. Everything in me wanted me to tell him to kick bricks and sleep in the car for all I cared but that wasn't Christian like. "Damn you William," was all I kept thinking as I locked myself in my room like a personal prison.

~

Barely sleeping a wink the night before, I stayed barricaded in my room until I heard the garage door open and close again. William has yet to return any of my calls and I was starting to fume. How dare he invite a houseguest without consulting with me? Then he wouldn't answer my calls nor would he return any of my messages. It could have been a life or death situation and here I was getting the silent treatment.