Chapter 21

Briley:

"And that's why Brooklyn over here didn't tell us how she knew about the stalker," Bethany says. Usually, when they talk about drama like this, I don't have a clue what's going on. Sometimes I feel like part of me is still locked up in that place. It feels like I can't be myself quite yet.

I feel like I'm going crazy. He kept me there for so long.

Yes, Beth helps me, but it's not easy fitting back into school. Nothing is normal.

I can't believe it's the 5th of January already. My second day of school. I wish I could go back to Christmas. It was so wonderful being surrounded by the people I love for a change. I did miss Dad a lot.  Our family and the Reed family celebrated together. You could truly feel the love in the air this Christmas.

Talking about love, I admire Bethany and Jake together. At first, it felt weird seeing them as a couple, but as time flew by, I've grown to love it. Jake truly makes Beth happy and visa versa. Jake has always been such a good guy, he was the most incredible best friend I could ever have wished for.

I got a lot of things this Christmas: Chocolates, expensive jewelry, letters from old friends, a lot of clothes, a straightener, a hairdryer, and make-up. 

I remember two years ago Roger gave me a necklace for Christmas. It was made out of bones. Just bones. It freaked me out. After he gave it he said, "Merry Christmas. I made this from your sister's bones." I cried that entire Christmas. That man was a psycho. He was annoyed by my tears and said, "Shut up Andrews. You're driving me mad. It's just a joke."

I wasn't driving him mad, he already was mad.

"I'm sorry guys. I promise I won't keep things from you anymore. Especially when we have someone tormenting and watching us," Brooklyn says.

"Someone capable of a lot..." Maya adds. She officially joined us again. All the things she did to Beth and Jake, were staged. Fice forced them to do it all, what a big surprise.

"I forgot about Fice," Jane says. How can she forget? I will admit, she isn't the smartest or sharpest around here, but seriously?

"Fice last sent me a message on Christmas, just saying Merry Christmas. But Fice did send something to Jake yesterday," Beth says and looks at Jake signaling for him to tell them.

"I'll read it. Poor Briley, must've been hard for the twins don't you think? It was funny that night when Briley told everyone her story. Signed, Fice," Jake says.

I walk in the school's hallway until I see Mr. Crawford. Why is he still at this school?

"Briley, hi," he says and I can see the awkwardness in his face.

"Don't act so innocent now. If you'll excuse me, Mr. Crow, I have decent people to go to."

I'm furious. Why is he still here at Havenhill High?

"Briley?" someone says behind me and when I turn around I see Max.

"Max."

He grabs my hand and pulls me into the storage room.

"Never do that again, or you'll pay," I say angrily.

"I want to apologize Briley."

"Funny you'd do it in here after what happened last time," I say, feeling very uncomfortable.

He looks around and realizes the mistake he just made.

Bethany:

2 hours later after school...

"And I miss the way you make me feel and it's real, we watched the sunset over the castle on the hill," Jake and I sing together in the car while driving to a far-away picnic place.

My phone rings and I look for it in my bag.

"Who is it?" Jake asks.

"Fice."

"Answer," Jake says. I answer and put it on speakerphone.

"Turn on the radio, 12.6 FM," the robotic voice says.

I end the call and turn the radio on. The song playing on 12.6 FM is Colors, by Halsey.

"They keep repeating the word blue," he says.

"Blue is our clue. It makes sense, it rhymes," I say laughing.

"Now that was number six everyone," the radio announcer speaks.

"Jake, didn't your merry Christmas message from Fice have six r's?" I ask. It's all starting to make a little sense.

"Yes," he says when he checks it again. "And the have a br-cold night message also had 6 r's. Remember that one?" he asks.

"Yes, and the lows in that one message were also 6. Oh my gosh, I don't believe this. We've been looking past the clues for so long," I say and all the stress comes back to me.

"Wait, fuck," Jake mumbles anxiously. 

"What?" I ask him. He's making me very nervous, and not in a good way.

"The picnic place we're about to go to is located in the 6th avenue. It's a trap, Beth."

"Well then move, we have to turn around or something."

He turns the car around and we start to drive back home. My heartbeat is speeding up because Fice could be here somewhere. It's going to be so mad if it realizes that we knew its plan.

"Beth, what's that?" Jake says in panic and I get a fright when I see two very bright lights approaching us.

Jake turns the steering wheel so that my side is facing away from the lights. Next thing I know, we are slicing through the other car. I sit in my seat frozen in fear.

"Jake!" I manage to shout. Nothing.

"Jake, Jake!" I cry aloud.

The airbag is still stuck on my face and as I try to push it away, my eye catches someone running. I push the door open with force and run to Jake's side.

"No! Jake, Jake please no," I say falling to my knees. His head is smashed in the steering wheel and there's glass all over him. Blood covers his whole head and drips onto his cheek.

"Help! Someone help! Please," I yell as I try to pull his door open, with no luck on my side.

I quickly run to the other car. The lights are still blinding, but I finally reach the driver.

"Hello? Please, you have to help me! Are you okay?" I ask when the person doesn't speak. The car doesn't seem to have gotten a lot of damage and neither does the person. I take a closer look at the person, just to see that it's a life-sized doll. 

I run to my side of our car and fumble for my phone.

"There has been a huge accident. Please hurry, he's about to die, or he's already dead, I don't know! Please come. On the road near 6th Avenue," I shout into the phone and then notice how much I'm crying. My hands are shaking so much but I grab the courage and run to Jake's side.

"Jake, baby, please, come on," I say and at least I see him breathing a little.

I immediately take off my shirt and use it to stop the blood from pouring out of his head.

"Please, let him live. Please," I say and send my prayers.