Chapter 19

Bethany:

I can't believe she's right here in front of me. My nightmares and dreams are both becoming a surreal reality. 

"What did she do to you?" I say crying my eyes out while hugging her.

"She helped me Beth. If it wasn't for Mom, I would've never escaped."

"Escaped? What do you mean escaped?" I ask her and then I look at her face. We still look the same, but she looks a little skinny, maybe too skinny. Something bad must've happened, I can feel it in my gut. I have had this unsettling feeling since the day was gone and just by seeing her, it's like that feeling is so much more exaggerated. 

"Bethany, I'm so sorry I couldn't tell you about this sooner," my mom says when she comes into the room. 

"Seeing the two of you together warms my heart in ways you won't understand", Mom says and grabs the both of us into a firm hug.

"How long have you known? You could've told me. I deserve to know something like this," I say getting furious. 

"Bethany," Briley says taking my hand. "She couldn't because I told her not to."

"I'll leave you two alone. You've got a lot of catching up to do," Mom says teary-eyed. 

"Thanks," we say together through the sobs. We look at each other and smile. Mom starts crying even harder and then walks out as she closes the door.

"I don't understand," I say with teary eyes.

"Come, let's just sit down already," she says with a small smile and teary eyes.

We're in her old room and she gets into her bed and I do too. She has a double bed with cozy bedding, so it's perfect in this weather. We kept her room the same. I remodeled it a bit, just to keep it aesthetic. We couldn't get rid of her stuff, because I was too emotionally attached to it.

She stares at me and I stare back at her. I still haven't processed anything.

I feel like I'm going to be sick.

"I thought that I'd never see you again Briley," I finally manage to say.

"I always had hope. I knew that one of these days I would be able to look at my twin again, to be able to hug you again and to..." she says but then bursts into tears.

"It's okay Briley. I'm here now," I say and hug her again. I can't get over the absurdness surrounding the situation. It's been years now.

"What happened to you?" I ask her gently.

"You remember that day right? Like any of us could forget..." she says. There's no way I could ever forget that day, I had nightmares about it almost every night.

No one has forgotten that day.

Flashback to the 18th of December, two years ago:

We all decided to go to the hospital to visit Dad. His cancer was getting even worse. It wasn't the perfect day either. There was a huge snowstorm and the thunder and lightning were getting worse by the minute.

"Daddy," we both shouted when we saw him. We almost jumped on his bed, when Dr Wilson told us to back off.

"Girls," Daddy said with a smile.

"Please, we just want to hug him, doctor," Briley asked nicely.

"No, he needs rest," he said and then looked at my mom. She looked to the ground and then Briley got mad.

"No, he doesn't. He's been sleeping the whole time because of the medicine that you gave him. And it's not fixing him," she shouts and walks closer, much closer to him.