Chapter 18

Fice:

My scheme actually panned out. It's kind of incredible how clueless people can be sometimes.

Sometimes, they act without considering the impact on others' lives. But let's shift gears for a moment.

I've really done a number on Bethany this time. Maybe I pushed it too far, but I'm not losing sleep over it.

I can't help but admire the brilliance of it all; forcing Jake to wear that exact green shirt from the video, making Bethany believe the video is real. That was pure genius.

Last year, the day when Jake confessed his fake love for Lily, Lily kissed Austin right in front of Jake. That's exactly why I let Bethany kiss him in front of Jake too. It brought back all the memories, I knew it would crush him. Someone at school, I think it was Sarah, took the video of Lily kissing Austin in front of Jake. This whole event even got published in the school newspaper.

That video also went viral and Jake was furious. The whole school was gossiping about Lily. They were happy it happened because everyone saw exactly who Lily was. Even I couldn't wipe the smile from my face.

School got out early today, because of the huge storm that's about to come. They're expecting a heavy snowstorm. Everyone has to quarantine in their houses, due to the predicted intense lightning and thunder.

When I sent that video to Beth, I saw it in her eyes. That lifeless gaze. She finally realized how much I let her hurt Jake, and I relished every moment of it.

I'm not who I once was. At least, I'm the last person they'd suspect to be Fice. Will I ever reveal myself to them? 

Maybe I've pushed this too far, but I'm already in too deep. There's no turning back now.

On another note, I'm glad for Bethany's mom. She finally did the right thing, though it took her long enough. I feel an overwhelming sense of pity for...

Jake:

This is such a mess. Fice really got to Bethany this time and I couldn't do anything about it.

I wanted to fight for her. I tried, I really did, but I guess I will finally admit that Fice is stronger than I am. Fice knows exactly how to get to someone. When I find out who it is, I'll make sure they end up in jail.

I want to protect Bethany. I want to be there for her and I want to support her. That's exactly why I'm walking through the heavy snowfall to Beth's house. I know Fice told her the truth. I truly despise Fice, it made Bethany believe that she hurt me, when she didn't. 

Fice hurt me and Fice hurt her. End of story.

My shoes feel really heavy in the snow. The storm is getting even worse, minute by minute.

As I'm trudging through the snow, the thunder starts to build up, and the lightning strikes.

I need to get to Bethany before I get stuck somewhere. I need her to know that nothing's her fault.

"Hey, hello," someone shouts from behind me. "Young man, it's not safe out here. You need to go home."

"I am."

"We're just trying to help. The lightning can hit you. We're trying to get all the people who are still out in the storm, inside," the man says. Now I see, he's a police officer.

"Sorry, I'll make it quick."

The police start walking in the other direction. I continue walking to Bethany's house. What will she do when she sees me? Will she shut me out again? Will she be happy to see me?