CHAPTER TEN: FLY (4/4)

Start from the beginning

The spiders listened in silence like a jury of metal gods.

'Why do you refer to it as a 'him'?'

'I dunno. He just seems kinda... male.'

'Where are you taking it now?'

'Like I said, I have no fixed destination in mind, but I don't particularly like being responsible for it on the ground. Makes me kind of stand out, wouldn't you say? Figured it would be safer if I kept it out here till things have settled down.'

Kas glimpsed one of the spider's ten legs twitch. Another shiver ran the full length of her spine.

'Why are you armed?'

Kas looked down and saw her fingertips poised millimetres from the prio-pistols. She curled them safely away, then realised the spider was probably more concerned by the belt of plasma grenades. She looked back up and tried to appear relaxed. 'I'm a bounty hunter. An alien spaceship just pulled me out of deep space mid-transit. I'm sure you can understand if that sets my nerves on edge.'

'The X1 you are transporting is the property of the United Galactic Federation. You are ordered to turn it over to us, immediately.'

'Does that mean you're gonna pay me my reward?'

'Once the X1 is in our possession, we shall process your details and assess your entitlement to a reward.'

'Process my entitlement?! I almost died capturing him and then again trying to return him to Selva. I'm not handing him over without immediate compensation. And don't you tell me you can't.'

'We do not wish to engage in violence with you.'

Kas's mouth dried up instantly. 'Glad to hear it. So why don't you go get me the reward I'm owed, and then we can resolve this peacefully.'

'Perhaps you do not understand,' the spider said as it glided another five feet towards her. 'This is not a negotiation. We are taking the X1, whether you agree to hand it over, or not. Failure to do so will be treated as an act of hostility. This is your last chance to cooperate.'

The artifibre in Kas's skinsuit must have released some antacids into her system because the dryness in her mouth was dissolved by a flow of saliva. She swiped her tongue over pursed lips and raised her chin up high.

'Alright,' she said, 'you can have him. But I'd better get my reward.'

'Instruct the X1 to come with us immediately.'

Using her hand as a hinge on the large door frame, Kas pivoted in the air until she was facing back inside the Calista's hold. Hik was still rooted to the floor, looking back at her with that impenetrable glassy stare... and in that moment she realised she was no longer afraid of him. Compared to the spiders, he was an angel. She pushed herself gently away from the wall and glided towards him with the grace of a zero-gravity dancer. The X1 had been the perfect companion in a way, but she knew their relationship couldn't last forever.

She stretched her arms out ahead of her and her fingertips found Hik's shoulders. Using him as an anchor, she swivelled her body at the waist so that her feet touched lightly on the ground and gave her the appearance of standing in front of him.

'OK, Hik - this is it,' she said.

'Am I to leave you now, Ms Balera?'

'Afraid so. Looks like the Federation finally came to get you.'

'I hope I have served you well.'

'You have.'

'Do you require anything else before I go?'

Kas paused. She inched her face towards him and lowered her voice. 'Hik, once I hand you over to them, will they be able to see everything we've done? Like our recent descent on a certain blue planet?'

'I imagine they will, Ms Balera, yes.'

Kas bit her bottom lip. 'Is there any way to quickly erase your memory?'

This time it was Hik who paused. 'You could restore me to a previous firmware version if you wish.'

Kas's heart rate quickened. 'And that would erase everything?'

'I cannot guarantee it, but as I don't recall any of my past experiences before encountering you, I imagine it is quite probable.'

'What is the delay?' the spider asked.

'Nothing,' Kas replied without turning. 'I'm sending him over now.'

Kas raised a nervous hand towards her mohawk and combed it backwards.

Here goes nothing...

'Hik,' she said. 'I command you to restore yourself to firmware version H1K-363.'

The change was instant. Hik's posture suddenly became rigid while a waterfall of green code drenched his face and reflected its light in Kas's uncertain eyes. The waterfall reduced itself to a trickle, and as fast as it had arrived, the code was gone.

 The waterfall reduced itself to a trickle, and as fast as it had arrived, the code was gone