Chapter 43: Why don't I feel any pain?

Start from the beginning

Senga couldn't help herself; she screamed.

Neville jumped up from his chair, his eyes still hazy from sleep. He spotted the end of her boots sticking out from behind the table.

"What the..." He drew out his gloves and slipping them on began untangling her carefully.

"Just lie very still... try not to move too much. It doesn't mean any harm; it's got out of hand that's all. I keep telling Professor Sprout that if she's gonna turn these plants into pets then she has to keep them away from the main area."

"Pets?" squeaked Senga as he uncovered her face and began to curl the roots much like he was coiling a rope up.

He nodded at her as he finally managed to drag the final root from her calf and hitched it all back into the pot.

"Now stay there!" he said sharply as the plant seemed to shudder and draw its roots into itself with something very like despondency.

"And don't sulk either! Sally will be back soon and you can have as many cuddles as you want then!"

"Cuddles? Sulk? You mean it wasn't trying to eat me alive then?"

"Eat you?" Neville shook his head "No. It likes skin contact that's all. Likes the warmth of human skin. Sally sometimes lets it curl around her arms. It's been missing her I think and saw you as a good substitute."

"Humph!" Senga snorted as she glared at the plant.

"Was I expecting you today?" he frowned, certain he hadn't arranged anything that needed her help today.

"Well no... I just wanted to ... talk to you." She said rather weakly and mentally kicked herself for sounding stupid.

"Cup of tea?" he asked as he turned to the pot that stood on the side.

Senga nodded and sank thankfully into the spare armchair and watched as he poured tea into two chipped mugs.

He handed her one and sat down sipping his tea slowly.

Senga began to fidget when it became apparent that she would have to start the conversation.

"Mr Longbottom, are your parents proud of you?" she asked and watched as he nearly choked on his tea.

"Pardon?" he demanded, the usual friendly smile gone from its place.

"Are your parents proud of you?" she repeated but less certain of her question this time.

"I... erm... why do you ask?" he hedged, his face looking pale.

"I was just wondering, that's all," she lied.

"Is this some kind of joke?" he demanded. "I take it you've been talking to your uncle!" He set his tea down with a shaky hand, not caring when it spilt over the table.

"Well yes... how do you know?" Senga was surprised by his words and his actions.

"Where else would a question like that come from? I think that you'd best just go Senga, I can't talk to you right now. I think you'd better go now."

Senga frowned upset at his sudden change.

"Mr Longbottom..." She sat forward on her chair and tried to see his face.

"Just go, Miss Malfoy," he hissed harshly and she was well aware of the sound of unshed tears in his voice.

Senga stood up on unsteady legs and set her cup down on the side before racing out of the greenhouse, a worried frown on her face.

Senga was completely taken aback by his reaction to her.

She was almost certain that her uncle hadn't spoken to him about her blood-lines. It was almost all he could do to be civil; there was no way on earth that he would discuss something as secret as that.