Chapter Thirty-Five: Vena Amoris

*Anxiety's POV*

I was trying to fall asleep, trying to find some sort of peace, but how could I when I couldn't even look myself in the mirror? I tossed and turned in bed, replaying my misdeed over and over again in my head. Why did I do that? Why did I ruin my one shot at happiness? Because I was scared? God, I am such a coward!

I groaned and rolled over, grabbing my pillow and pulling it over my head to create a pocket of darkness. I was trying to drown out the sounds of the outside world and my own inner voice telling me what a screw up I was.

My plan seemed to be failing as I heard my bedroom door creak open. I groaned, assuming it was Patton to tell me a bedtime story. I told him I hated those.

"Dad, I'm trying to slee--"

I froze where I was when I turned around to see a sniveling, angry Princey clutching a piece of paper in his hand.

"Roman? Wh-what are you doing back here?" I asked, horrified as to what this could be about.

"I remember." He said, his voice wavering.

I scrambled from my bed and stalked towards him, my breathing shallow as I gazed at the paper in his hand.

"What do you mean you remember?" I asked carefully, trying to test the waters and see just how much he knew.

"I remember, Virgil. I remember everything. It's so strange, I-I remember our relationship, our love, how I was waiting for you at that pond and then all of a sudden, I didn't remember a single thing about the past half year. I feel so... "

Betrayed? Angry?

"Awful. How could I ever forget you?" He said, placing his hands on my shoulders. "This just makes me wonder what on earth happened?" He begged, desperation in his eyes. "Do you have any idea what happened?" He asked me.

I had to tell him. I had to be honest.

"I... I sort of destroyed all of your memories..." I mumbled.

I felt my heart break all over again when his face fell. His hands slowly fell from my shoulders and he looked absolutely devastated.

"You what?" He asked, sounding so horrified.

"I... I took your red folder and I shredded all of the memories of us." I said meekly, staring at the floor.

I let what felt like years of silence pass between us before he finally squeaked out a tiny 'what?'.

My bottom lip began to quiver, I couldn't even look him in the eyes. How could I face him after this?

"I just... I'd been feeling like the villain lately," I said, clearing my throat that had a sob caught in it. "You and the others were just making me feel like the bad guy, like I was always against you three. I felt like you would never see me as anything other than a villain and I just--" I had to clamp my hand over my mouth to stop from weeping.

I took in a deep breath so I could finish my thought. "I just wanted to be your prince." I said, before collapsing to the ground in a fit of sobs.

"I'm so sorry, Roman!" I cried out. "I'm so sorry!" I repeated over and over again, my arms wrapped around myself as I bawled. "I should never have done that. It was wrong and stupid and I was so ungrateful and I never realized how lucky I was to have you..." I choked out between sobs.

He said nothing, and I knew he must hate me now.

"Roman, I... if you hate me, that's fine. I understand. You can hate me for the rest of your days, but please just... forgive me." I cried, just needing some sign that he forgave me.