Free

Camille faces her father. Even when her pain is excruciating, her willpower keeps her standing. Although her spine throbs and her face are almost numb, she's ready to hear the truth. Why are the shadows targeting her? Why has her father turned into a monster?

"Camille," her mother is frightened to see the determination in Steve's cold eyes. He's willing to tell her everything. Things that Camille is not ready to know. The joy to finally have the chance to spill the truth and break himself free, Steve turns to his wife.

"Oh, Camelia, she wants to know. The girl wants to know." Steve's mocking tone infuriates the girl but terrifies her mother.

"You know you're not allowed to-," Camille's mother warns him with fearful eyes that alert her.

"Mom..." Camille tries to say something, but the pain has trapped her voice. She's taken aback by her mother's reaction. Camelia glances at her broken daughter, someone she treasures so much but can't do anything to help.

"Stop it! Just tell me," Camille struggles not to blame her mother for her misfortune, but it's clear she knows; she's known all along.

"Camille, Camille." For the first time, Steve calls her name without shouting. He flashes a triumphant smile. "Have you ever seen death in the face? They say death is the image of a beautiful woman, a spirit that knows how to trick you until you give everything you have for her." He laughs, stumbling to stay on his feet.

"Steve, don't. I'm begging you. Don't condemn yourself even more-" Camelia's desperation shocks Camille. Why is her mother so scared? What does she mean by condemning?

"Condemned me, huh." Steve shrugs his shoulders. Camille can feel the evil darkness gathering around Steve, maybe her mother's right and they're all condemned. Deep down, she's known all along.

"The reason it's not hard to guess, is it?" He asks, chuckling without humor. "This whole goddamn town reminds me of the fucking hell our lives are! We're trapped here, and it's all because of you!" He screams in frustration, violently shaking her head.

Camelia turns pale, her hands shaking over her mouth, her brown eyes glow with anguish and, it's at this moment that Camille realizes she already knows the secret. It's always been evident to everyone in Primavera Town. But she only needs to hear it out loud from them, hear what the whole town has been whispering about her entire life. A girl with her features can't be the daughter of such a monster like Steve.

Camille notices the anguish in the eyes of the incoherent man, someone so scary, a monster that finds joy in anything that brings misery, an unpleasant excuse for a man that's now afraid of something bigger than his hatred. A stronger force. A darker force.

"Steve..." Camelia tries again.

"Mom..." Camille breathes in through her nose. "I deserve to know why?!" She demands for the first time in her life.

"Because you're a constant reminder that," Steve stops, erasing the smile off his face, his eyes turning icy cold, emotionless, without giving Camille a chance to react.

Camille finds herself with her back against the wall again. He's holding her by the neck once again. But this time, he's ready to stop her from breathing. Camille's eyes widen in shock as she sees the unknown force driving Steve insane. This man is not Steve. He's a monster, a real nightmare, someone without a soul that can kill her without remorse. The shadows are laughing at her pain.

"It makes me sick to see your face... you're not my fault to bear," he murmurs, but, strangely, he looks like he's not talking to her anymore. "I want you to disappear from my life so I can be free. You need to die, Camille." Steve hisses while blocking her throat, hazing her brain. Camille struggles to stay alive.

"No!" Camille's mother cries, although she's been forced to never interfere, looking at her daughter's courage to face the demon she's grown up with. Camille can finally open the door to save herself, and Camelia finally decides to risk it all for her.

Gathering all the strength she has left, Camelia grabs a lamp Camille keeps close to her bed. She knows she will pay for it greatly, but she's willing to risk it all for her daughter. She swings the heavy lamp against the back of Steve's head.

"He's not your father," Camelia admits to her as Camille drops right next to the unconscious man.

Stunned by her mother's actions, Camille wipes her blood with trembling arms, desperately gasping for air. She curls in her mother's arms.

"Camille..." her mother hugs her tightly.

"He's not my dad..." Camille chokes the words in a tiny voice. She doesn't need explanations. Looking at the bloody man lying by her feet, the shadows have vanished, leaving nothing but a dreadful silence.

"Listen, Camille. I don't know what's going to happen when Steve wakes up. If he wakes up..." Camelia stutters, looking at the amount of blood spreading on the floor. She knows the real danger is beginning to rise from within the darkness, and once it starts moving, it won't stop until it traps her.

"You need to go, baby. Go to Paige's house. I'll call you when things get better." Camelia urges.

"Mom. No." Camille argues firmly, but she's struggling to stay awake after the chaotic encounter.

"I'm sorry, honey..." Camille winces in pain as her mother wraps her trembling arms around her.

"I'm sorry for letting this happened to you. You deserve better, and there's a place where you can find a better life," Camelia blurs out in desperation. Gathering the last of her strength, Camille gets to her feet; she can't feel the pain anymore, but she's exhausted.

"One day, I'll tell you everything. One day, you'll meet your real father, but right now, you need to escape. I need you to find a safe place. Promise you'll go to a safe place?" Camelia rushes the words out.

"Mom-"

"Camille, please." She demands more firmly. Camille takes a moment to collect a little strength and nods in reassurance.

Camille holds her mother's face in her hands. The sincere regret in her eyes makes Camille believe there's much to find out that maybe she's the only one being targeted by the darkness. Her violet eyes beam with determination. "I know it's not your fault."

"We'll talk when the time comes..." Camelia inhales to calm her heart. "I promise, now go." She urges.

"Please, take care of Jordan." Camille glances at the despicable monster.

"Go, honey." Camelia encourages with a pain that Camille can't understand at the moment.

Leaving her mother in tears without looking back, Camille makes it to the front door. The cool breeze of midnight slams against her face as Camille looks up at the moon, trying to open up her lungs to let the fresh air make its way through her nostrils. She spreads her sore arms and grins widely.

"I'm free. I'm finally free." She giggles with tears in her eyes, tears of happiness, tears of joy and relief because she's about to step into a new path—a path without pain.

"Free..." Camillerepeats with a trembling voice as her heart squeezes tightly.