Chapter 18- Wedding Dresses and Death Threats

Start from the beginning

"I am," I pipe up.

His smile grows wider, and he shakes my hand. We walk over to part of the store, when Jared asks, "So, tell us about your lovely boyfriend."

I blush and say, "I, uh, actually have a girlfriend."

"Oh my!" Crap, I think, he's gonna be homophobic, isn't he? "I'm sorry to be so heteronormative. I actually have a wonderful boyfriend myself. His name's Evan."

I smile gratefully. "We actually have a special request. My girlfriend is coming in today to buy a dress as well, and we're doing the kinda traditional route where we don't want each other to see our dresses before the wedding."

"Okay, if you tell me her name, we can arrange something so that you won't see each other's dresses."

"Thank you," I smile. "Her name is Elizabeth Schuyler."

"Okay, I paged my boss. Now, tell me about the wedding, where's it gonna be held, what kinda dress style do you want, shoe ideas, hair ideas, make up ideas. Tell me about Eliza and you're relationship."

I smile, reminiscing about everything. "We've been friends for a long time, when an unfortunate accident happened." I glance slightly at Alex. He looks down at his lap, and holds John's hand. "And, she helped me get out of an abusive relationship with my ex boyfriend. We started dating shortly after. We have a beautiful relationship. She proposed first in a vacation to Rome at the coliseum at sunset, and gave me a promise ring. We're getting married in the place by the water in Rhode Island at this place called the Aldrich Mansion. We're getting married outside, and the reception's inside.

"As for the dress, I've always wanted a ballgown, preferably strapless."

"Okay, that sounds amazing," Jared smiles. "Now what's your price point."

I say my price point, but the poor author has no clue what people pay for a wedding dress. . . so yeah.

The first dress I try on is a a simple butterfly lace dress. I try it on, and walk out to my friends and family. Alex and John seem to like it, and I think it's okay, but neither my mom nor Hercules like it.

"Maria, you always look so beautiful but that lace makes you look kind of old, sweetheart," my mom says, kindly. Hercules agrees, so I go to try on dress 2.
This dress has a sparkly corset top, and I was able to easily wear a bra with it. The skirt isn't too poofy, but nice and flowy. I love it.
Then, I hear a voice calling out my name. It's not Jared, but I assume it's someone else that works here.
"Maria Reynolds?" they call out.
"Yes?"
"I have your fiancé here looking for you. They want to come in and talk to you."
I smile, lovesick thinking about Eliza and I getting married, and yell out, "One second, let me just change into the robe. I don't want her to see my dress."
"Okay! Your fiancé is waiting outside the door."
I unlock the door, and say, "The door's unlocked, Eliza, give me a second to change into the robe."
"No. . . It's fine, I'll come in now." I hear the coldest, most vile voice ever. . . That of James Reynolds. I go to lock the door, but before I can, he's opening it, and locking it behind him.
"Hello Maria," he says with a horrible smile. "I've missed you." He places his hand on my waist, and pulls me in for a kiss.
I quickly push him away, and hiss, "Get away from me. What do you want?"
He smirks, and pushes me against the mirror, whispering in my ear, "I want you. I've missed you for so long."
"I push him away, and get ready to scream, when he pulls a gun out on me.
"Shut up," he hisses. "I'm not going to threaten your life, because I know that won't work. Instead, if you don't do exactly what I tell you, I will your precious 'songbird'," he mocks the name I have for Eliza.
"No," I whisper. "Not Eliza. Please."
"Your song bird will okay as long as you do what I tell you to."
I nod my head.
"You're going to go out there, show your friends this dress, and reject it. Say your not feeling well, and go home. At home, you will tell Eliza face-to-face that you're breaking up with her. Give her back your ring, and then you will move out, and break all contacts with her. I know every aspect of both of your lives, and I know if you are staying with her, and I can easily kill her. Understand?" he asks, pressing his lips to mine. A single tear slips down my cheek, and I nod my head. He leaves, and I do as he says. I put on an okay face, and leave the changing room.
I go out to show it to everyone, and their mouths fall open when they see the dress. I love it so much. It's the most perfect dress I've ever seen, and I can see myself admiring it.
My eyes sparkle at the dress, and it pains me to tell my friends, "I hate this," I lie my voice cracking. "I'm sorry, I don't feel well. I need to go."
Before anyone can get to me, I run back into the changing room, and change as quick as I can into my regular clothes. I then leave and run to the apartment. Tears stream down my face, and I pack a big duffle bag. I scroll through my contacts, when someone calls me—Hercules.
Shaking, I pick up the phone, and in the strongest voice I can muster, "Hello?"
"Maria, are you okay? What happened in the dress shop today."
"I, uh, didn't feel well."
"I don't believe you. Please tell me what's wrong."
"I-I-I can't."
"Are you in trouble? Is it James again?"
Silence. I'm shaking so hard that I'm practically rattling.
"I'll take that as a yes. Do you need somewhere to stay for the moment?"
"Y-yes. Please," I beg. "I'm so sorry."
"Don't apologize. I told you that I'd be here to help you out. Do you need me to pick you up?"
"Yeah, but I need to talk to Eliza first."
"Okay. I'll call you later, and we can talk when we get back to Laf's and my apartment."
"Thank you so much."
I strip and step into the shower. I crumple to the ground, pulling my knees to my eyes and start sobbing. I love Eliza so much and I don't know if I can break up with her. But I need to if I need to save her life.
The water has run cold long ago by the time I hear the door open—Eliza.
I shut off the water, towel dry, when I hear Eliza yell, "Maria? What happened? I heard you ran out of the store today."
I wipe away my tears, and change into sweatpants and a faded t-shirt.
This is going to be the hardest thing I've ever done.

Okay, I finally finished this!!!
A few important things•
• in part of my state at least, if you go to Victoria's Secrect and just TRY ON not even buy their new bra, they'll give you this 15$ matte lipgloss for free, which is lit if ur going back to school bra shopping.
• tomorrow's my freshman orientation, and school starts thrusday, so I'm terrified so yeah
•school starts for me on Thursday and I'm super terrified about that too, and that might change my updates
Okay, until next time
Xoxo
-BellaLovesNutella