chapter 25 | as if it's your last

___

there was an eerie silence between the group of six, in contrast to the loudness of the huge room they were sitting in.

"we're starting in ten minutes, so where on earth is he?" jaebum was starting to lose his temper.

yugyeom shook his head gravely, and bambam evidently gulped. they couldn't afford for the boy to turn up late at any cost.

"want me to go look for him?" mark suggested but the other merely denied the offer.

"it's okay, i'll go," jaebum firmly got up, "stay here so that no one else gets lost," he spit the words in anger.

he couldn't believe that youngjae had the nerve to leave them after the dance worshop and disappear right before their stage performance. he said it was important, but jaebum wasn't buying it. he was twitching with irritation, his breathing escaping in huffs as he ran around the building in search for the younger boy.

time was running out, and turning up late to this event was a definition of suicide for their group. it was jaebum's responsibility to get the seven of them together and prepared, it was expected of him, it had to be done.

and knowing how much anxiety and issues it caused him - youngjae still wasn't anywhere to be seen.

corridor upon corridor, jaebum was running out of breath, panting as his eyes blurred; trying to find the boy who was causing him to lose himself in a lot of different ways.

at that moment, youngjae's 'important' was nothing compared to this 'important'. where could he even possibly go? what was so goddamn important that he had to leave so urgently?

jaebum didn't understand how the younger boy could betray his trust like that. he couldn't believe that youngjae, his sunshine youngjae would do this to him at such a difficult time.

there was a verge between which jaebum wanted to either burst into tears or punch every single wall he saw.

he did neither of those once his saw him.

instead he screamed out his name, "CHOI YOUNGJAE—"

the younger immediately untangled himself from the hug that we was wrapped in with a boy taller than him, his eyes wide as he stared at jaebum with a red face, completely lost for words.

making his way towards him, the older heard youngjae apologise to the stranger boy. turning his way, he faced jaebum with so much guilt on his face — it physically hurt.

but jaebum was in no time to hear explanations, instead he grasped youngjae's wrist with extreme force, dragging the boy behind him as they ran.

a minute, just a minute left before they'd close the doors.

from behind, youngjae whimpered, trying to shake off the older's hand around his wrist, but jaebum only held on tighter. he couldn't control it. he just knew that they had to get there in time.

there were thoughts inside his head, so what if you're a little late? a minute or two can't possibly do any harm, right?

not now, not today, never in tomorrow.

"sorry hold up!" jaebum rounded the corner, seeing a staff mid-closing the studio's room.

it was a miracle that the woman let them slip inside, and jaebum drowned her in gratitude as he tugged youngjae and crawled to the back where the rest of the group sat in complete worry. they were receiving all kinds of looks, neither were of adoration, most where of judgemental and harsh instincts.

but no one said a word, they just sat on the wooden floor in their now complete group of seven — too mentally exhausted to talk things over. then lights dimmed down and familiar faces appeared at the top.

it was a long day, too long for anyone's liking.

___
i will explain

written: august 17, 2017
published: september 9, 2017

니카 ✿