prologue

: set in 2013
___

"hi! my name is choi youngjae. i'm sixteen years old, born in mokpo city in jeollanam-do on september 17th, 1996. i'm auditioning for jyp entertainment with the song-"

but his memorised text of speech was abruptly cut off by a slamming door that shattered close. youngjae cursed silently, glancing at the clock that struck half past five midday.

no one was supposed to be home for the next two hours.

"youngjae-ah!" a voice called from further down the corridor. a voice that youngjae recognised without a difficulty as he opened the bedroom door and was met with his older brother's set of brown eyes beaming down on him.

behind the older boy stood a small group of two that youngjae figured were his classmates.

"what is it hyung? i thought you said you were out until late today," youngjae tried to keep their shared bedroom behind his back.

"well there was a change of plans, mind emptying the room?" he said, reminding both of them of how annoying it was to share a room.

"uh-," youngjae stuttered, "can't you's use the living room instead? i'm in the middle of doing something-"

but his brother didn't hear his excuses, so without much hesitation he entered; his friends following him inside into the spacious place.

the younger boy couldn't do anything but stand and stare by the threshold, his eyes petrified as they encircled the floor.

"youngjae-ah, what's this?" his brother glanced back at the other who was blushing mad from embarrassment.

"-a camera."

"i can see that it's a camera, but what's it doing here?" he motioned at the tripod stand that held the expensive equipment; its lenses focused on the clear and bright space in front of it.

after receiving no answer, youngjae's brother paced towards the camera and picked it up, opening its gallery to see what the younger was possibly doing.

"hi! i'm choi youngjae and this is my audition for jyp entertainment- no, no, i should mention my age too, uh-"

; he played the first clip that he saw and stared at it in disbelief as youngjae ran up to him and ripped the device out of his hands.

there was an eerie silence between the two brothers as they stared back at one another.

"youngjae-ah, what's the meaning of this?"

angrily, he threw his hands into the air, "i was recording my online audition goddamit! is that so hard to understand?"

"you? an online audition, for jyp?"

"believe it or not!" youngjae snapped. but his brother only laughed; his friends joining in as youngjae stood with the camera clutching tightly to his chest.

"oh youngjae-ah you're still so young, you're only going to be seventeen in autumn. you think it's possible to get into such big industry at such late age without much professional skill? look i'm sorry but why won't you find a more practical dream that's actually more achievable-"

but youngjae ran out before he could hear the end of his brother's lecture. mindlessly, he grabbed his rainjacket against the spring winds and slipped into a pair of runners.

he packed the camera into its satchel and flung it over his shoulder. he wasn't going to give up just like that.

___
angsty improv? lol

written: july 30, 2017
published: august 9, 2017

니카 ✿