chapter 24 | fantastic

___

half the day flew in an instant as the jyp trainees who attended the workshop found themselves sitting together at lunch. they were offered a small meal which everyone gratefully took and proceeded to dig into.

jinyoung finished in seconds which left him to secretly take yugyeom's food whenever the younger boy turned away to roll his eyes at bambam playing with ramen.

mark was talking to jaehyung and brian in english, confusing wonpil as he just stared at the three boys in complete awe.

and then youngjae and jaebum were having a foot war, sitting across from each other as they stabbed their shoes under the table.

trainees from starship also shared their break at the same time, and with that, jackson somehow managed to befriend a boy called lee jooheon.

it was a while of talks and laughs (and heel stabs), after which jaebum told the members to rest for a bit before having a little practice of their own. earning six nods in return, the older boy turned his head back to face youngjae who was staring at his phone screen with a small smile.

jaebum couldn't deny the little tug that it caused to his heart for a split-second.

looking up, the younger gazed at him with bright eyes, "i'll go answer a call real quick," he excused himself and soon enough left the room altogether.

jaebum frowned, wondering to why the boy was suddenly so cheerful, and why he was acting so kind and soft (more than usual) towards everyone on this particular day.

shrugging away his thoughts, he joined sungjin and junhyeok who were complaining about jaehyung's unnecessary obsession with lobsters.

looking at the time later onwards, jaebum grabbed a hold of jackson from the next table, apologised to the starship trainees and dragged the boy along with others to find a room to practice some more.

"but hyung—" bambam pouted, "—i know that choreography in my sleep."

"but do you know your words?" the leader chuckled at the boy who was crushed with defeat of honestly, admitting his struggles of forgetting lyrics on stage.

"where's youngjae?" yugyeom asked as they trudged down-corridor instead.

"he's talking on the phone," jaebum told them shortly.

jackson wiggled his eyebrows, still locked between the older's grasp, "oooh, with who?"

"how should i know?"

"i don't know, maybe you both spend every living second together," jinyoung commented from behind.

"we do not," jabeum denied with the lightest tint of blush lingering on his cheeks.

"that is a lie. you always sit together on the bus, walk beside each other whenever we're going somewhere, not to mention always holding hands, you's even sleep together!"

"jackson!" the older boy hissed, looking around the empty space as they entered a small dance studio, "shut yout goddamn mouth for once."

"someone's getting triggered," bambam teased by poking the provoked boy.

"it's just not what you think it is," jaebum reasoned.

"and what do you think we think it is?" mark replied back, surprisingly not stumbling over his words but leaving the rest of the group staring back with puzzled expressions.

and no one ever gave a response because suddenly youngjae came in, his smile wide as ever, "oh here you are! i was afraid i lost you's."

"what's up with the happiness?" yugyeom laughed as they boy basically skipped towards them.

pausing for a second, he shrugged, "just feeling happy."

he received a couple of shared stares and weird looks between himself and jaebum, but soon enough it broke apart and the group of seven started with a light run through of a couple of songs to warm themselves up, followed by a series of choreographies for orientation and finalising with their prepared piece for tonight's performance.

they didn't work at their hardest as for they had a dance workshop to attend in an hour and a stage to present later, but even so, youngjae continued to smile; for once content in his practice as he beamed throughout.

jaebum couldn't help but feel a tugging inside of him, knowing that he wasn't the reason behind the younger's smile.

___
i got mochi, i am now happy

written: august 16, 2017
published: september 8, 2017

니카 ✿