chapter 07 | hide & seek

___

jyp collected the contract, signed by both youngjae and his mom in previous moments of their meeting.

"now that youngjae's an official trainee here," jyp faced the young boy, "congratulations, you've fought your chance to take this position and now you're here. yes, from today onwards it will be difficult, but i'm pretty sure you understand the hardships you signed up for. with this, i'd just like to say — welcome to jyp family."

"thank you park jinyoung-nim," youngjae beamed, "i can assure you that i will work hard to the best of my abilities."

"that's great to hear," jyp nodded his head in delight, "now jaebum-ah, come here."

nervously (which was surprisingly strange), jaebum got up and stood beside jyp, his eyes plastered onto the young boy in front of him.

"youngjae-ah," jyp asked the boy, "do you know who this is?" he motioned at jaebum.

confused, youngjae wasn't sure if she should be honest and reply that he obviously knows the figure before him, just like the rest of the country. but for a split-moment he was afraid to sound like a—fan. of course he wasn't crazy about it, it was his older brother and sister who'd play 'bounce' on repeat since the day it came out. but still, it bothered him to think that this could be a trick question.

"well—" he stuttered, facing the older boy, "jj project's jb." his answer was short but with accuration.

"that's right, and there's something about him that you should know," jyp glanced between the two of them, "you see, jaebum is currently the leader of a group of six male trainees, including himself, who are scheduled to debut next january."

group of six, youngjae thought, that must be the group that yugyeom-ah is in preparation for.

"—and from my earlier meeting with other trainers and jaebum himself, we have actually agreed to place you, choi youngjae, as a final member of this group."

by this point on, youngjae's jaw was destined to break as it kept falling open in surprise and mere shock.

"—you want me?" he stumbled over his sense.

"i understand that you have went through a lot of things today," jyp tightened his grip, "but considering that you passed an online audition, followed by a pass in a live audition and now given a chance to debut within half a year? consider yourself extremely lucky, because chances like these are a combination of perfect timing and faith."

"i wasn't expecting much in the first place, but this? it doesn't even seem real—" youngjae laughed, his mind unable to understand the actuality of the situation.

jyp smiled at the boy's choice of words, "i believe things are settled then. thank you for your attendance mrs.choi," he looked at youngjae's mom who was in a bubble of joy, "and most importantly youngjae," he faced the boy, "i will now announce the news of your addition to the rest of the group. as for we have your contact details, you will be informed regularly. however, i do expect you to arrive here the day after tomorrow to meet the boys yourselves. if you are ready by then, it would be ideal for you to move into the dorm along with them on that same day. i'd like to see you get to know each other and become comfortable as for they'll now be with you for a really long time."

youngjae nodded in understanding and got up from his seat. for a moment his eyes met jaebum's, and it was as if nothing really mattered. he gave him a small smile - which the older boy was surprised to receive and so he managed a tugged smile in return.

with an exchange of bows and words of gratitude, youngjae and his mom shuffled out of the office, neatly closing the door behind them as they left.

"what are you thinking?" jyp turned to the pondering boy beside him.

his smile was pretty, jaebum almost said it.

"can't wait to see what he's got," he said instead.

___
writing past midnight because of dedication

written: august 2/3, 2017
published: august 22, 2017

니카 ✿