xviii. eye of the storm

EYE OF THE STORM!
☆彡 CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

EYE OF THE STORM!☆彡 CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

      THE SKY GREW DARK AND LOW with ominous black clouds that spread over the earth for miles and miles. The wind picked up—howling, crying, baying like a wolf into the night, causing the delinquents to scuttle into the dropship for a dry haven. A little lower than a hundred bodies huddled inside as rain cascaded from the sky in a heavy shower, splattering on the rooftop in an erratic pattern.

      Pandora stood by the door of the lower level, watching the delinquents fumble to lower the parachute which draped over the dropship door. As if Mother Nature looked right into them and pulled the chaos from their minds, the wind grew stronger and the parachute flapped vigorously against it, refusing to be tamed.

      Crackles of thunder overlaid their muffled shouts, each boom causing Pandora to flinch. She took steady breaths, willing herself not to fear the sky, laws that dwelled up above the clouds had already once controlled her. A streak of hot silver split the sky and light reflected over her face. Her eyes darted towards the lightening bolt to find that the sight to actually be an anarchic beauty.

      "This is Raven Reyes. Calling Ark Station." The voice of the mechanic spoke behind her from deeper into the dropship. "Come in Ark Station. This is Raven Reyes. Please come in. Please, please, can anyone hear me?" Pandora followed the sound of Raven's repetitive attempts to contact the Ark, wading through the compact sea of delinquents. Her tone grew more desperate as she came closer, a bit heartbreaking to hear.

      "Did you try maybe using a different frequency?" Pandora suggested, trying to be helpful, but from the mechanic's frustrated expression, she wasn't having it.

      "Don't try telling me how to do my job. I'm know this is the right one," Raven replied, her tone more aggravated than usual. Whether it be the storm, or the thought of Finn's life on the line, she had thunders of her own.

     "I'm sorry," she apologized. "But, Raven, I know you can do this."

      The mechanic took a deep breath and nodded, then continued to recite the same phrases into the radio, hoping that someone would answer.

      From the corner of Raven's eye, she noticed Clarke walk over to Finn and replace the bandages over his red soaked wound. A spark of jealousy flashed over Raven's eyes for a moment, then she tuned her attention back to the radio.

      Pandora tried not to look at the gruesome situation behind her, but her curiosity got the best of her and she caught glimpse of the crimson liquid ooze around the knife. Her teeth gritted at the sight so she snapped her attention away from it. She really couldn't stand the sight of blood, but she knew that it was something she needed to get used to.