xii. hangman

HANGMAN!
☆彡 CHAPTER TWELVE

HANGMAN!☆彡 CHAPTER TWELVE

THE CANTEENS OF LIQUID HANGING on Pandora's waistband swayed beside her hips with every step she took. She looked over to her four companions—Hugo, Ophelia, Monroe, and Harper who together carried enough water for a hundred. With the rest of the delinquents working nonstop for the last few days to build the wall, keeping them all hydrated was a necessity.

Hugo stayed close to Pandora while Harper and Monroe stayed in the back, keeping a watchful eye for anything dangerous in the surrounding trees. Meanwhile, Ophelia was babbling nonsense to no one in particular about random facts that none of them really needed to know. Her brunette locks bounced up and down as she twisted her head to admire every flower she passed by.

"Do we have to go back to camp?" Ophelia complained, purposefully taking shorter strides to delay their return.

"Yes," Pandora immediately replied. She didn't stop for her to catch up and neither did anyone else. Her head tilted slightly to look back at the younger girl. "Unless you want everyone to die of thirst."

"But Earth is so pretty," she noted, reaching her arm out to snatch a scarlet bud that sprouted out of a thorny bush and jogged back towards the group as she twirled the stem in between her fingers. "I want to see all of it."

"Earth isn't so pretty when a grounder is hunting you down for dinner," Monroe spoke cautiously, bringing up the joke that Pandora had made on a previous trip in the woods. Pandora held her head forward so that no one would see the grin twitch at her lips.

"Are we really having this conversation again?" Hugo questioned, craning his neck to stare back at Monroe with raised eyebrows.

"They don't eat people," Ophelia sputtered, hugging her arms defensively to her chest. "I heard the rumors and I know they aren't true."

"You're right," Harper joined in on the fun. "They feed you alive to their mutated panthers."

The girl's eyes widened to the size of the moon and looked towards all of them with terror. Pandora felt a bit bad for scaring Ophelia, she was just much younger than the rest of them and Pandora knew just how much stories could affect someone at such a young age. She still remembered the horrifying ghost stories Bellamy would tell her and Octavia many years ago. Although Ophelia wasn't that young, she still felt a sense of protectiveness over her.

"Hey, don't worry, kiddo," Pandora turned around to whisper to her. A reassuring smile rested on her face while the others choked back their cackles from behind them. "No radioactive animals are gonna come after you. We were just messing with you."