v. fools and fire

FOOLS AND FIRE!
☆彡 CHAPTER FIVE

FOOLS AND FIRE!☆彡 CHAPTER FIVE

AS THE SUN SLOWLY IMMERSED INTO THE TREES and the temperature began to plummet to freezing levels, a handful of delinquents gathered wood to compose a campfire. In their Earth Skills class, Pike had taught them everything they needed to know about the ground, one being how to make a fire as it was essential for survival. Pandora had already known a lot about the planet, having been a excelling student before she got arrested. But she was still thankful for Pike's refreshing lectures.

After many failed attempts, the delinquents finally managed to spark a vibrant flame. Bodies circled around to watch in awe as it danced against the singing wind. They tossed in scraps of anything that would burn and shrieked with joy whenever the embers popped out from the pit.

      It was foolish for them to play with fire, they should've known that if the turmoil kept on being fed, they'd be consumed in a barbaric sea of flames. However, they were flies, drawn to the brightness and homely warmth that it provided. Pandora was no different as her cursed curiosity dragged her to join them.

Once the night fully invaded the sky, Bellamy arrived to the fire pit. Everyone seemed to orbit themselves around him as he poured charismatic words into their young minds, urging them to take off their wristbands. With his convincing tongue, many agreed with him, but she saw right through him. As confident as he sounded, she still remembered who Bellamy Blake once was. There had to be some reasoning behind his determination to rid everything that could potentially help the Ark.

One by one, the metal bracelets plummeted into the crackling flames, generating a storm of cheers from the crowd.

Pandora weaved through the tight bodies until she found Murphy pulling off Hugo's wristband with his makeshift knife while Mbege held his arm down on a piece of wood. From his grunts, the Lovelace girl was convinced they were taking his off forcefully, so she yanked the hem of Murphy's shirt, pulling him away from her friend. "Don't touch him!" It didn't seem to bother her that she was behaving in such reckless anger while a blazing inferno stood no more than a few inches away from them.

"Woah! Relax, buttercup," Murphy coaxed, raising his hands in effort to calm her. "You can have your turn once you wait in line."

Hugo stared at her with pleading eyes, and she soon realized that he had given up his wristband willingly. The boy winced once Murphy unclasped the bracelet from his hand and rubbed his tender skin.

Pandora knew he wanted to gain their trust, yet she never expected him to be an accomplice in something that would prevent his own parents from coming to the ground. Didn't he want to see them again?