xxiii. night thief

NIGHT THIEF!
☆彡 CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

NIGHT THIEF! ☆彡 CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

AS LAUGHTER AND MOONSHINE poured into the the vociferous setting, Hugo stood among a group of drunk delinquents, a flask in his hands—which had rarely touched his lips—and observed their turbulent demeanor with amusement glimmering in his eyes. They were going to party as though it may be their last, because in truth, it may actually be. When the Ark arrives, their times for fun will dissipate and be replaced with stern order just like it had been when they were up in space.

In the meantime, Hugo decided to bask in the delinquents bliss, savoring each moment in his mind. He had barely even reached the point of being tipsy, however while he interacted with the others, his behavior was much more erratic than normal. The boy preferred everyone to think he was as intoxicated as them, it allowed him to partake in the cheers and thrills as delinquents chugged down large masses of moonshine yet still remain sober.

Out of nowhere, a long, feminine arm cradled over Hugo's upper back and secured their grip on his shoulders. He glanced over to his side to discover who had come to accompany him. "Having fun there, Harper?" He asked the grinning girl as she shifted her weight back and forth, rocking them both as if they were swaying to a nonexistent song.

"Yep," she chuckled. "I love Unity Day!" Harper hollered into the crowd, earning a series of whoops that rippled across the dense clump like an echo. That planted a smile on his face. "Oh, how I miss this stuff," she laughed out lightly, taking a long sip of her beverage as her head rested against him. Then, she perked up and waved towards a dark-skinned figure as they walked past. "Miller!"

      He swiveled around to see who had called out his name and landed his gaze on the two of them. "Hey, Harp," Miller greeted with a friendly smile, and then his eyes flickered towards the Brekker boy. This wasn't the first time they had met. By now, Hugo had already been acquainted with nearly all of the hundred. Everyone was practically family. Yet there was something unfamiliar in the way Miller looked at him. "Hugo, the genius hacker," he spoke as the corners of his lips twitched into a smirk. "Y'know you're pretty famous among thieves. You've been rumored to have stolen thousands of Ark files right under their noses."

Those hacking days on the Ark were hazardous, and Hugo knew that each time he broke through a firewall, it brought him to an even higher risk in getting caught. But, back then, he knew exactly how to dodge the Arks suspicions and cover up his digital crimes. It was only when he got arrested for a different reason did the Ark find out that he was the one that had hacked into numerous confidentialities.

In response to Miller, Hugo dipped his head to conceal his prideful gleam. "Yeah, that's me."

"How the hell did you manage to do it?" He asked, his body leaning towards him in interest.