Going in to the closet?

Start from the beginning

"I don't know. I'm just- I just wish Nico would come back."

Sadie had raised her eyebrows, then smirked. "If I didn't know any better, I'd say you like him."

"What? Don't be ridiculous. I- I don't like him..." he'd trailed off as he mulled the thought over. Did he like Nico? It would explain a lot.

"It would explain a lot," Sadie had muttered, reading his mind.

When Nico had returned from his father, he told Anubis he had gotten to know another student who lived at their campus. Enter Ethan Nakamura.

Nico started to spend a lot of time with Ethan and it made Anubis' stomach twist whenever he saw the guy.

Ethan didn't seem to notice the glaring at all and was always friendly towards Anubis. Nico had seemed to notice, though, at it didn't exactly make him happy.

Nothing major had happened until today.

Nico had been talking to Ethan during lunch, which had been okay. What was not okay was when Ethan had placed his arm around Nico's waist as he told him something and Nico had the audacity to blush.

Anger had flared up in Anubis and he'd abruptly stood up from his seat to walk over to them and tug Ethan away then pushed him back from Nico. Ethan seemed surprised at first and then confused. Nico at the other hand was shoving at Anubis and asking him what the hell his problem was.

"He's my problem!" Anubis had all but shouted, which made Nico even angrier.

Nico had pushed past him and apologized to Ethan, who didn't seem to care about Anubis' behaviour.

Sadie had then stepped in and dragged both Anubis and Nico away from the cafeteria and promptly locked them in the closet.

Anubis looked down at the ground. "I'm sorry," he tried.

Nico turned towards him, anger evident in his eyes, "You're sorry? Why did you even have to do that? What has Ethan ever done to you?!"

Anubis flinched at the other's raised voice. He looked up at the other, "I don't know. I just- I was just angry."

Nico raised an eyebrow, clearly still fuming. "You were angry. Why the hell were you angry? He didn't pick a fight, he didn't provoke you," his voice was dripping with disbelief.

Anubis shrugged.

Nico sighed and walked towards him, plopping down to sit beside him on the floor.

"We were just talking, y'know," he said.

Anubis laughed a hollow laugh, "I know." He drew his breath, this was it, he felt it coming out, "I guess I just felt jealous."

"Jealous? Why would you be jealous?" the surprise was clear in his voice.

Shit. He wasn't ready. Abort, abort!

"You started to hang out with him a lot. And I- I just wanted to hang with you too," what the hell was he saying?

"But we did hang out together," Nico started.

"I wanted you to hang out with just me!" the words slipped from his mouth before he could stop them and he looked away and squeezed his eyes shut.

Nico was silent. He tapped his fingers against the floor. "Well, I want to hang out with other people too, that doesn't mean you're not my best friend anymore. I mean, I tell you everything. No one knows me like you do, especially not Ethan."

Anubis bit his lip, "I know. I just... I don't know. It made me angry when he was so friendly and touchy with you."

"Touchy? Are you talking about earlier? That was nothing."

"You were blushing." Why did he tell him that?

Nico was so silent it made Anubis look up at him.

He was gaping at him and seemed speechless.

"What? That- that doesn't mean anything, he was just telling me something," he then blushed again as he looked away.

Anger rose in Anubis again, "It didn't seem like nothing from the way you're acting. Did he tell you he liked you or something?"

Nico turned to him and had the look on his face like he thought Anubis might be the stupidest person on the planet. "What? No. He- he told me something else."

"Then what did he tell you?"

"It wasn't important-"

"It is important. I want to know if you like him." Oh snap. That was it. He was doomed.

Nico looked at him strangely, "Why do you want to know if I like him?"

"Because I like you!"

Nico looked shocked. Anubis clamped a hand over his mouth and abruptly stood up to walk away from him. He stood facing the door, feeling his hand tremble slightly against his mouth.

He heard the other stand behind him and squeezed his eyes shut. A hand was placed on his shoulder and he tried not to flinch as Nico spoke.

"You... like me?"

Anubis couldn't say anything. He'd messed up everything.

"Hey, Anubis. Look at me..." Nico was trying to turn him around.

He let himself be turned around but kept his eyes shut. He did flinch when Nico put his arms around him and hugged him tightly.

"It's okay," Nico said.

Anubis shook his head.

"It's not okay?" Nico asked. He shook his head again. "Why is it not okay?"

Anubis shakily drew his breath, "Because I ruined everything. We can't be friends like we were before."

"Hey, don't say that. Anubis, look at me, okay," Nico tried to lift his head. Anubis reluctantly opened his eyes. Nico smiled at him and then leaned forward and kissed him.

It was just a simple press of lips and lasted a second but it made him stop shaking and gape.

Nico actually blushed and looked away, "You wanna know what Ethan said to me?"

Anubis nodded numbly.

"He said that I should confess my feelings to you," he started. "I like you, Anubis."

Anubis felt shell-shocked but heard the sound of the door unlocking clearly.

---

I'm trying a new thing where I'll upload once a week and not three times and then nothing... Tell me what you think :)

I decided to make this an AU because even though I prefer the canon universe, they could've just opened a portal or shadow travelled out of there...