Chapter 26

HER POV:

I stared at my phone, laughing over the joke Iris sent me. It had been two days since I had contacted her. I was missing her. "Salams, Romma." I heard Waqqar's voice. I looked up to see him. "Wa Salam, Waqqar." I smiled at him. He smiled back as he held out a letter. I let out a laugh. Iris was doing a good job at these letters. But, I'm still confused. She told me that she'd just give him hints to lead him to me. These letters were whole love letters. Brushing it off as usual, I moved aside to let Waqqar sit down on the bench.

He shook his head, declining the offer. "I just wanted you to read this." He told me as he handed me the letter. Reading it, I realized it was just a normal letter telling Waqqar how nice he was looking today. I never knew Iris was this girly.

"And there's something else as well." He told me after I had finished reading the letter. He took a phone out of his pocket and waved it in the air. "I found this in my locker along with the letter." He stated. I frowned, a bulb flickering inside my head. I had seen this before. Maybe it was Iris's. She must've accidentally left it while slipping in the letter. I shook my head at her carelessness.

I took the phone from him. "Have you seen it before? Who's phone is it?" Waqqar asked me, curiousity spread across his face. I nodded hesitantly. "Yes..." I trailed off. "But I don't know where." I sighed. Waqqar took a deep breath. "Try to remember." He said. Whoa. He really was interested in this. "I don't know Waqqar. I'll tell you tomorrow." I told him. "I'll ask my friend first. Maybe it's hers." He nodded in reply.

The bell suddenly rang and I stood up for my next class. "Well" I smiled at him. "See you later." With a wave, I shot out of there.

As I entered the house, I rushed to my room as usual. Changing into comfy clothes, I plopped down on the comfortable and soft bed. I took out mine and the phone Waqqar found. Dialing Iris's mom's number, I put my phone over my left ear. Iris's mom picked up. "Yes, Romma?" Her sweet voice was heard from the other side. "I wanted to speak to Iris," I told her just as politely.

I knew she was wondering why I called her instead of Iris but she brushed it off and handed the phone to Iris. "Salams, Romma." She beemed in a high and cheery voice. "Wa Salam, 'prim_Rosa'." I joked. "Who's that?" Iris responded. The smile on my face disappeared. Then I figured she might be joking. "Oh, don't pretend like you don't know, Iris." I said, laughing.

"No really, Romma. I don't know what you're talking about." Iris replied, her tone all serious now. I felt an uneasy flip in my stomach. "Anyway, why didn't you call on my phone? Why did you dial Mom's number?" She asked after I was silent for a while. I frowned. "Iris, your cellphone is with me." I told her, holding up the other phone and examining it. "No, Romma. My phone is right here. Wait. Let me call you personally." Iris said as she cut the call. After a few minutes, she called me from her own number.

My heart dropped in it's place. "But, I have someone's phone with me! Waqqar said he found it in his locker along with the letter that you sent!" I was freaking out. What was happening?? Was Iris just toying with me? But she just gave me proof that she had her phone. "Romma." Iris shook me out of my thoughts, her voice was dead serious. "I slipped no letter in Waqqar's locker." She said.

I frowned even more. "I was waiting for you to collect the letters and slip them into Waqqar's locker yourself. I don't study in your college, Romma. How am I supposed to do that everyday?" Iris questioned. I slapped myself mentally for being this stupid. "You're right. You can't slip in letters everyday." I told her in mounting panic. " But the thing is that Waqqar DID receive letters everyday! And not just any letters. LOVE LETTERS!" my voice was raising. What in the world was happening?! Iris told me that she'd prepare the letters. I thought she would be the one giving him the hints and all this time, it wasn't her.

"Romma, calm down. Freaking out wouldn't help." Iris told me quickly, sounding nervous. "So now, let's see. Someone has been giving Waqqar love letters by the name of Prim Rosa. Meaning, someone else likes Waqqar and she's in his class." She took a deep breath. "Wow, I definitely didn't see  this coming. Romma, you need to find out who she is! It's just a matter of time until Waqqar figures out who she is.  You could have tough competition."

I shook my head, biting viciously on my lower lip. "Don't be stupid Iris. Just because this chick likes him doesn't mean he'll ever like her back. No girl in my class is a Muslim. He wouldn't dream of fancying a non Muslim, let alone have an affair."

"And how do you know that's gonna work out as smoothly as you think?" Iris demanded. "Think Romma! Doesn't every girl in your class know what Waqqar's like? If someone's making a move on him they wouldn't do it just like that. And men can be really thick if they're uncertain. I don't like this. You need to keep an eye out for her."

I nodded, wincing slightly. "You're right. I'll keep an eye on Waqqar's surroundings." I replied. "I know every girl in my class and this one sounds like an obsessive stalker, always watching him. You should read the letters. It's creepy." I punched my pillow in aggravation. "Allah! Why?!"

"Chill out, Juliet." Iris consoled me, back to her joking voice. "Even if this girl's a tough nut, I'd still place my bets on you. Waqqar likes you already and unlike her, you're a Muslim. Stay focused ok?"

"Shell yeah!" I pumped my fist in the air, my golden locks bouncing.

"Go at it, girl! Fight for your dreams!!" Iris laughed. I rolled my eyes. "Stop being so dramatic, Iris." I started telling her what the letters were like until her mother called for her. I cut the call after Iris had replied me with a "Wa salam".
I thought about everything again. This was bad. Very bad!

Thank God, I figured it out earlier. If I'd never found out, I can just imagine what could have happened. My chances with Waqqar would be ruined! No! I won't ever let that happen! Inshallah! I decided to pray for myself and Waqqar from today onwards. If I prayed all five times, Allah might help me and shower His blessings upon me. If I would get Waqqar, it would be great. If I won't get Waqqar, it would mean Allah wanted to give me someone better. Although I really hoped for the former.

I made up my mind. I promised myself I wouldn't miss a prayer from now on! Inshallah