Chapter 13

HIS POV...

I walked out of the class. Reaching my locker, I put the books back inside. "Wainee!" Romma appeared out of nowhere. I got startled. "Jeez Romma. You really need to stop startling me like that." I told her. She just flashed me a kiddish grin. "I need you to go out with me!" She blurted out. I almost tripped over. "What?" I did a double take. "I need you to go out with me." She repeated.

"Romma, I knew you were straight forward. But isn't this a little too much?" I questioned. She rolled her eyes. "I mean that I need your help." She told me. I nodded knowingly. Oh so that's it. Thank Allah. I regained my cool self and picked my bag up from the ground and pulled it over my shoulder. "Okay, so what is it?" I asked her.

"The thing is, my dad told me to visit this orphanage and get the kids some gifts. I need your help because it'll be too much for me." She briefly explained. I looked at Romma, proud of her. "That's so nice of you to visit the orphanage. Good job." I said to her. She quickly looked the other way.

"Then, I suppose it's a yes." She said and I nodded. "Sure, I'd love to come." I told her. She smiled. "Well, we go tomorrow. It's a weekend as well." She said. "Sure. Which time?" I asked her. "4:00 pm" she told me. I nodded knowingly and went off. As I reached home, I decided to tell Nadia Khala (mother's sister) that I would be going to the orphanage tomorrow. "Khala?!" I called. She appeared out from the kitchen, a bright smile plastered on my face.

"Waqqar! You're home, Alhamdulillah." She said. I walked closer to her, after placing my bag on the couch. I'll get to that later. Meena came running out from the living room and hugged me tightly. "Wainee! You're back! I missed you so much!!" She exclaimed. I picked her up in my arms and kissed her cheek. "Me too." I said to her, softly. She gave me wide grin.

"Actually, I have plans for tomorrow. There's this orphanage uh-oh a friend of mine asked me to go there." I told Khala. Her face lit up and she closed her hands, excitedly. "That's great! I've got so many old toys that Meena doesn't use anymore!! You can take them and give them to the children. Meena can buy sweets and distribute them there. It's gonna be a great experience and Allah will be so pleased."  Khala kept on talking. I smiled at her, putting Meena down. She started jumping up and down. "I'm coming too!" She said. I nodded. "What will be the point of all this if Meena wouldn't go? Of course you're coming."  I said to her. Khala looked at me and Meena lovingly. "I'm so blessed to have such amazing children." She sniffed, wiping a tear from her finger. I was startled. "Khala! Why are you crying?!" I put my hand on her shoulder and rubbed it lightly.

Next day:

"Meena! Hurry up! We're gonna get late!" I shouted, looking at the time. It was already 3:39 pm and Meena wasn't hurrying. If there was anything that I hated, it was coming late. Meena came running down from upstairs. "Wainee! Look at these candies baba bought me!" She rushed towards me and showed a big packet of Eclairs. I smiled at her. "Now, let's get going!" I said and pulled the big bag of toys over my shoulders.

"Thank you Chachoo (father's brother) for lending me the bike!" I shouted so he could hear and took Meena with me, outside where the bike was parked. I hopped on it, after helping Meena get seated probably. We took off. It was a chilly weather outside but, to be honest, it was fun. The cold air hit my face as I drove the bike with speed. I usually never  drive the motorbike fast but right now I had to get somewhere.

Getting off the bike, I picked up Meena and put her down on the ground. She squealed joyfully, seeing the orphanage building that had "Little Angels orphanage" written in big bold letters. This was it. "Now we have to wait for Romma." I told Meena before she went running inside.

A car pulled up against the sidewalk. A man in his early fifties with light brown hair and golden eyes stepped out of the car. His eyes laid on me and walked towards me. "Assalamualaikum, son." He greeted me in a typical Arabic accent. "Waalaykumusalaam, sir." I replied, smiling at him. He raised an eyebrow at me. "What are you doing here?" He asked me politely. I pointed at the orphanage.

"I came here to visit the kids." I told him. He nodded knowingly. "Did someone suggest this orphanage to you?" He asked me. I nodded. "Yes, sir. A classmate of mine." I replied. Suddenly, I heard a familiar voice.

"Meena!! You came!!" Romma rushed towards us and hugged Meena tightly. She looked at me with a grateful smile. "Thanks for bringing her!" She said. I turned back to the man to apologise for Romma's sudden showdown. He was looking at me with shock. "Romma, you know him?" He asked Romma this time. After hugging Meena, she turned to face us.

"Oh looks like you met each other. Abi, this is Waqqar. He is the only Muslim in my class. Waqqar, this is my father." Romma briefly introduced us. I shook his hand. "It's nice to meet you, sir." I said to him. He smiled. "You too, son. What's your full name?" He questioned. "Waqqar Mehmood." I replied. He looked at Meena and bent down to pull her cheek.

"And who's this little angel?" He asked sweetly. "I'm Manahil Nadeem." She answered. He chuckled and Straightened his body. "Ok, I guess I should go now. Both of you kids enjoy." Before smiling at me for the last time, he walked away.

"Well then!" Romma clapped her hands to get my attention. "Let's go!"