Chapter 1 (Edited)

HIS POV:

I let out a yawn as I walked down the hall. My eyes were half shut and I felt this urge to just go home and snuggle into bed. I had to study all night, completing the assignment we were given. Extremely sleepy, I entered the classroom.

I put my books on the desk and sat down, taking out my phone to go through the list Nadia Khala (Mother's sister) sent me via text. As I scrolled down the list of daily grocery, I caught something from the corner of my eye.

There was a crowd of girls hovering over a single desk. I cocked an eyebrow, leaning closer to see what was going on. I spotted Romma in the middle of the crowd, laughing aloud with a badminton racket in her hand.

I sighed softly upon seeing her short dress. Turning back to my phone, I tried not to think too much on it. After all, it wasn't such a big deal here. I just felt a little more about Romma since she was practically the only other Muslim around. With a frown on my face, I continued to go through the list.

My mind soon wandered off to Romma again. I couldn't help but think it was such a shame. She was an Arab Muslim. Though, it was almost hard to believe that. Her habits, way of talking and attire didn't show she was Muslim in any way.

The bell rang and I snapped out of my thoughts. Kids rushed into the classroom like a herd of elephants followed by the teacher. The first lecture started soon after the teacher took the attendance. My friends slipped in beside me, laughing about God knew what. They shot me a quick salaam and turned back to their conversation before the teacher called them out.

With a concentrated look on my face, I focused on the lecture.

It was long before recess came around and I, for once was grateful. My sleep had taken over me quite a few times during the four lectures we had.

"I just hope they've got that piece of sandwich we ate last week." Harry said, turning to me. I nodded in agreement. Those sandwiches were delicious and best of all, they were vegetable sandwiches.

Upon reaching the cafeteria, we met up with Damian. His face lit up, seeing us. "Hey, guys. I was waiting for you." he smiled. We walked up to the counters to grab our lunches. It was such a shame those sandwiches had run out.

Nonetheless, I sat with my friends and ate my lunch, chatting and laughing.

When recess had ended, Harry and Damian walked off to their classes. I stayed behind to grab a few books from my locker. I had just opened it when I heard a voice fill my ears. "Hey, Waqqar! Glad I bumped into ya. " Romma skipped towards me, a hand stuck out as she waved. Her face had that usual confident and bright grin as always.

I didn't look at her. "Salam, Romma." I told her simply not wanting to strike up a converstaion for too long.

I noticed her narrowing her eyes at me from the corner of my eyes. It then turned into a scowl. "You're dull. As usual." she remarked, her grin fading away. I sighed. "Well... That's​ me." I pulled out the last book and held it securely in my arms. I turned to leave, giving her a last look.

But Romma had other plans.

"Anyway!" she drawled the topic. "I wanted to tell you that I have a game this weekend. You should show up." she suggested, a smile tugging at her lips as she looked at me locking her arms behind her.

For a second or two, I actually thought about it with a frown on my face. It never made sense to me that Romma would ever invite me to one of her games personally. I should've felt honoured, but to be honest, Romma wasn't exactly the type of person I would ever want to befriend. She just wasn't the type I'd want to hang out with. First and foremost, she was a girl. And secondly, her habits weren't exactly the halal type.