Castle

It had token at least twenty minutes to get to the kingdom on this dumb mule. It was just a tiny island We lived on like come on!

I didn't even know why we had a Kingdom in the first place. Sometimes the sea elves, whatever the heck that meant, would come here and check out the kingdom but other then that that was it. I didn't even know why I was becoming a dumb knight in the first place. What danger was there anyway on this island?

The walls around the kingdom were just made of grey concrete. The walls looked gross and were filled with vines and other greenery that nobody ever bothered to clean up. I walked freely into the entrance and the inside looked even nastier than the outside. The village inside the walls looked rundown and old even tho people lived in it. I saw some children playing in the rocky path and kicking around wine bottles and giggling and having fun, It reminded me of the farm.

I made It all the way to the castle entrance. I got off the old mule and put him on a leash and he just started to eat the nearby grass and weed growing out of the cracks of the pathway rocks.

I knocked on the wooden door of the castle entrance and a actual real knight opened the door for me. He had shining grey armor and a flowing red cape and he had he's helmet off so I could see he's face. "Thank you, sir." I said. I saw that he had more muscle and was much more taller than me. Great job Shiro, probably all the knights are going to be that way. Maybe I should just go home and go back to feeding animals.

I pushed away the thought and headed inside the castle. A smokey smell lit the hallway and I almost gagged. I have to get used to this if I'm going to work at a castle for the rest of my life. So now how am I supposed to become one? Oh yeah become a squire for five or six years and clean off armor for who knows how long.

"You need any help?" Asked the knight who opened the door for me. I toke a deep breath. Um what was I supposed to say? I want to become a knight or squire? I just went ahead and said it.

"Uh, how do you become a squire?"

***

It was exactly what I thought. But instead I have been upgraded to a true horse not a mule who was incredibly stupid plus I got a little armor on my shoulders and on my legs.

I became the squire of sir nick. One of the royal knights and he had an open spot for me to do his dirty work...great.

I lived in the ugly castle now with the other squires. Which some looked already ready to become knights. Of course just like back home they were giving me nicknames like no-muscle or twig. All of them towered over me but i didn't let that stop me from working. One day they'll beat me up real bad and I would be dreading that day.

I tried to give sir nick his armor in my best manner. "Thank you very much Shiro." Said sir nick lowering he's head.

It had been a few weeks of doing chores for sir nick and being with those dummies. Their jokes got even more stupider each and everyday. I just sat there and continued going around the castle and doing work for sir nick while they sat there and laughed at my puny size.

But one day sir nick came while I was sharpening he's sword. I sat up immediately and bowed.

"I've been hearing lately that the squires were being mean." Said Sir Nick.

"Uh I don't mind I'm always called names and sorts." I said calmly.

"Hmm, well I remembered my squirehood. It was the worst. The boys would always play instead of do work and when somebody did do their assigned work the boys would always pick on me. That's what it's like here and most of the time those boys are expelled from the castle and never to come again. Shiro I think you will be a lovely knight one day. You have such manner and treat me like a true proper knight. I'm proud to have a squire like you." He explained with a smile.

I couldn't hold in a smile either. In those last few weeks I felt like a peasant and now maybe I could actually become a knight.

"I want you to come on a mission with me to the end of the island. There has been reported to be some activity there, but I don't know what they meant by that. I guess we will have to get on our horses and see."

A proper mission? Going out with a real knight To the edge of the island? "Yes Sir Nick." I said excitedly.

"It will be a two day mission. Scouting around every corner and finding the unknown activity. But I'm thinking it's either a bear or some type of bandit who stole something precious."

After that we walked out of the castle and went to the stables. There was my brown stallion. I named him Comet because that was the name that first popped up and beside him was the stupid mule chewing on some wheat and staring at me. I opened the gate and hopped onto my brown stallion. He was beautiful and graceful. I would probably get used to this horse. Stupid mule grunted jealously. "What's your problem." I joked.

I rode comet to Sir Nick who was on he's beautiful grey horse.

We headed out of the kingdom and into the forest.