Chapter 1

3rd Person POV

     "Mom...please let me go. It's all I'll ask for until Christmas, I promise. Please???" Josh pleaded, his eyes wide. "C'mon, how many kids ask to go away to summer camp so they can play trumpet??"

     "I'm still not sure, hun. I don't know how much supervision will be there, what the teachers are like...and plus, it's kind of expensive."

      He did feel kind of bad about that part. Their family didn't have that much money, he didn't want to be a burden. But on the other hand, this was his dream. While he did love to play the trumpet, his real passion was in drumming, but he decided to keep that part to himself. His parents weren't too keen on that hobby.

     "I'll make up all the costs when I get back, I'll get a job, I promise." He said sincerely. All he could think about was drumming.  On the last day of school, when all the teachers were too exhausted to try to deal with the students, he tried messing around on them while the other kids went out to play basketball. Ever since then, he was tapping everywhere, just itching to play again. The Columbus Summer of Music Program could give him that opportunity, and then some.

    "I'll talk to your father, but for now, why don't you get yourself busy." His mom said, but judging by her tone, she was convinced.

    1 hour and 2 loads of laundry, 1 dishwasher cycle, and a clean room later, dinner was ready, and Josh's dad was home.

   They all sat down at the dinner table, surrounded by pans of macaroni and cheese, chicken, and green beans. They made small talk for a little while, talking about their days and work drama, while Josh was growing more and more anxious.

After what seemed like years, his mom finally brought it up. "So, honey, Josh brought up band camp again. I think he's really serious about this. What do you think about it?"

"I mean, if it's something he's really passionate abou-"

"I am! I swear I am!" he exclaimed desperately.

His father chuckled. "Then I think we should support him and his passions as best we can. With rules, of course."

"Yeah, yeah, of course, so I can go?!?!?!?" He was so excited already, he could hardly stand it.

"It's alright with me." His dad said, "honey??"

"I don't see why not." His mom said.

"Yes!! Thank you so much!" He smiled, nearly dying of excitement.

His Dad then exclaims "Go pack son, I'll clean up."

Josh runs to his room and packs for camp. he spent all night packing that when he was finally done he passed out, excited for his new adventure of drumming. This could be the best summer of his life!!