Chapter Four - And We're Off

Start from the beginning

"If you tell me what you were doing last night." I say.

"I was busy, okay? Busy doing...stuff." She continues stammering.

"You're such a bad liar." Harper says, grinning.

"Fine." She huffs. "I was with Tyler last night."

"Tyler?!" Harper and I exclaim at once.

"Tyler Cummings?!" Ned exclaims, turning around in his seat.

"Yes, Tyler Cummings." Ally says like it's obvious.

"Seriously? You can do so much better than that." Ned says.

"He does have a point there," I say. Harper nods.

"What? He's funny, he's cute, he's sweet..." she trails off.

"...and a douchebag." Harper continues.

"And, no offense, but he's pretty dumb." Ned says. Peter turns around, taking his earbuds out.

"Ned's got a point there, too." Peter says.

"Oh, please. You just don't know him like I do." Ally says.

"What?!" Harper and I exclaim at the same time, again.

"Ally, you used to hate him." Harper says.

"Okay, yeah, until he left that sweet note in my locker." Ally says.

"I don't think that was Tyler." I say.

"Well, I do." Ally says. Harper and I exchange glances with Peter and Ned.

"You guys are supposed to be my friends!" Ally exclaims, looking at Harper and I.

"We are your friends." Harper says.

"Look, Ally, we just don't think it's a good idea." I say.

"Remember what happened with Jane? And Tyler?" Ned says. I swallow, hard.

"That must have been a rumor." Ally says.

"Okay...." I trail off, unzipping my backpack and bringing my homework folder out. I hand it to Ally.

"It's in the front." I say, setting my charger, wallet, and earbuds in my backpack before zipping it up.

Ally takes out a piece of paper and a pencil and starts to copy my homework.

Ned turns around and so does Peter. I turn and look out the window,  watching as we start driving down the highway.

After awhile, my eyes grow heavy and I drift off into a light sleep full of empty dreams.

***

"Juniper. Juniper."

My eyes flutter open, and I yawn. Ally shook me awake.

"We're here." Harper says, grinning. My eyes shift from her to Peter, who's holding back giggles at the sight of me. I blush and look at Ally.

"Do I look that bad?" I whisper. She snorts.

"No. You were just fast asleep and wouldn't wake up," she giggles, grabbing her bag and standing up, following Harper.

I sigh and grab my backpack, slinging it around my shoulder and following the two. I step out of the bus into the crisp, chilly autumn air.

"Alright, everybody follow me into the lobby, and please, try not to act like a bunch of gorillas." The coach says, before turning around and heading into the hotel lobby.