One

Oscar's P.O.V

Rain plummeted down from the sky as the soles of strangers shoes slapped against the wet concrete. It created an irregular beat that began to distract me. I tried my hardest to ignore it as I stood in the door way of an abandoned theatre, slightly covered from the rain as my fingers glided over my guitar strings.

My voice was no match for the thunder, rain and mass of footsteps echoing through the city. But still I tried to make it be heard.

Occasionally someone would dig into their pockets, pulling out a small handful of coins before throwing them carelessly into my guitar case. Honestly I wondered whether people gave me their money in appreciation of my music or in an attempt to shut me up.

After a few hours I gave up, taking a moment to collect the change I had earned and shoving it into my pocket before carefully putting my guitar away. I sighed loudly as I slung my hood over my head, the flimsy material immediately becoming soaked as I ran out into the rain and over to a small coffee shop across the street.

"Hi Oscar, the usual?"

Relishing the warmth that washed over me as I stepped inside I looked up, smiling softly at the owner of the shop as she wiped her hands down her slightly stained apron. Julia remembered everyone's orders.

"Yes please Julia, I'm a couple of pennies short today though," I admitted quietly, my cheeks flaring up in embarrassment as I settled at a table closest to the radiator. Julia simply tutted, waving her hand dismissively before setting to work on preparing my usual order: a large hot chocolate, extra cream, extra marshmallows and chocolate sprinkles- if I had the change to spare.

The hum of chatter mixed with the soft music nicely. I rubbed my hands together in an attempt to warm them up as I watched people talking about their day and the gloomy weather over their warm drinks.

I was fiddling with a napkin when Julia came over, placing a large mug of hot chocolate with cream, marshmallows, chocolate sprinkles and a toasted panini down in front of me. Shaking my head I looked up at Julia, my eyes wide as my stomach growled. "No Julia, I can't keep doing this.." I trailed off, biting my bottom lip softly as she just chuckled.

"Oscar be quiet, it's my shop I can do what I want. Tell you what, I'm having an open mic night soon. Why don't you come and play and that can be you paying me back, yeah?" She offered, a warm smile on her face as she gently nudged the plate towards me.

I contemplated it for a moment, deciding that playing inside for once in front of a proper audience would be better than standing on a street corner. Nodding my head I smiled gratefully up at her as she ruffled my hair before leaving to serve other customers.

Julia had always looked out for me, ever since she first opened up shop across the street from me playing. If it wasn't for her I honestly think I would have starved over the two years I'd spent in New York. She practically became the mother I had never had and it was nice. My own mother died when I was too young to even remember, I raised myself since the grief seemed to hit my father with every year that she was gone. Having a warm, motherly figure I could go to was like having a lifeline in the ravenous streets of this city.

The panini was the first hot meal I'd had in a long time so I took my time to savour every bite. The growling in my stomach eventually settled as it's cravings were fulfilled. I took minuscule sips of my hot chocolate, in a feverish attempt to make it last. Not  just to enjoy it but  so I had a reason to stay in the warmth of Julia's shop.  I felt safe there.