Chapter 14

Logan didn't let her hand go until they were at the table and he was pulling her chair out.  He couldn't find it in himself to give up the contact until he had to.  But, dinner might be awkward if he didn't let her have it back to eat at least. He couldn't believe his luck.  Even though he would miss Ricky because of Rory's mixup, maybe it could be a happy one. 

He ordered a bottle of wine and water for both and then looked at Rory.  She was trying hard to focus on the menu, he could tell by the way that her head tilted up slightly every so often, like she was checking to see if he was looking at her.  He didn't need to see the menu, he had been here many times before.  Besides, he wasn't worried about food tonight...tonight was about Rory.  He couldn't come on too strong, he didn't want to scare her away.  Damn if she wasn't just as beautiful as the day he had met her...for the second time. Twenty years and motherhood hadn't diminished her looks, if anything, she was even more beautiful. 

After they ordered, he had to push himself to quit staring and talk. "So, good week at work?"

"Not too bad, it's almost Christmas so everyone is just trying to hang on until break."

"Week and a half left right?  Do you have big plans for Christmas since it's your year with Ricky?"

"Yup, almost there.  I'm not really sure what we're doing.  Mom asked already at thanksgiving if we would stay there and celebrate with them, but I wouldn't mind starting at home."

"Ya, I understand, that's what we did last year.  It's nice to have the first part to yourself."  They looked at each other in understanding for a moment.  Splitting holidays might be one of the hardest parts of being single parents. 

"So, I know we talked a little about this but what did you get him?"

"I have an idea, let's try not to talk about Ricky tonight," Logan suggested.

"Why?  What else is there to talk about?"

"How is your mom? Aside from stealing my son every chance she gets..." he asked with a wink. Rory didn't know about his relationship with Lorelai, and he had decided that maybe that was good. Lorelai had become an anchor for him over the years. He relied on her for advice and, in many ways, she was more like a parent to him than his own.

"She's really good. Marrying Luke was like the final puzzle piece for her. Opening the spa and having Michel run it, then eventually running the dragonfly too. She has been so happy. When Colin asked her for help with the King's Head, and she bought it I thought she was crazy. Now she has three more! I'm a little worried she is going to become a mogul," Rory chuckled. "Luke loves watching her with them too. He has been following her more and more."

"He's in love with a Gilmore, you just get deeper and deeper." Logan replied with a twinkle in his eye. "What about Emily? How is Nantucket?"

"Oh my god, you'll never believe it! She has a web series with the whaling museum now. And like this cult following! She gets recognized when she is out and about..." Rory chuckled thinking of her grandma.

"She really has changed hasn't she? Same Emily at heart...just new ambitions." Logan thought back on that relationship over the years too. She wanted them to get married when they told her about the baby. The difference between Lorelai and Chris and Logan and Rory, though was that she wanted them to get married because they loved each other. She had pulled Logan aside more than a few times when Ricky was much younger and told him how stupid he was. He was never as truthful with her as he had been with Lorelai. He told her he cared for Rory very much but that was as far as it would ever go now. She had accepted and let up. She was a doting, protective great grandmother, and she treated Logan as family even though he wasn't.

Their food arrived and they dug in. They caught up on the rest of the family. Christopher, Lana, and Gigi, he had married Lana three years ago. She is a lawyer in the Hayden firm, now a partner. Gigi was slowly going to college, but still no major. Mitchum and Shira were left out of the conversation, but Honor was always a big topic. Much to their parents dismay, Honor had found her calling, as a mother. She and Josh had five kids, and she stayed at home, no nannies. They lived outside of New York City and happily kept a low society profile. She was also a doting aunt to Ricky, and Logan spent a lot of time there on the weekends with them.

They slowly finished their meals and were still talking about their families and drinking their wine. "Well at least you can count on Mitchum and Shira not to change. They probably still worry that you'll lose your mind and start up with me again huh?" Rory joked, but didn't miss the troubled look that flashed across his face before he covered it.

"Probably about due for a relapse right?" He tried to sound light in his words.

"We've always been good like that..." Rory trailed off. What was she thinking? Was it the wine? Was it the fact that Logan had been so nice about my mistake? Was it that he looked so damn good tonight in his jeans, button up shirt, and tie? Seriously...who pulled of that look so well? Wasn't there a rule about that kind of package? He should be in a frigging museum somewhere for all women to enjoy!

"Yes we have." Logan's thoughts were running on the same track as Rory's, but he knew he wanted her. "Rory, have you ever wondered why that happens to us?"

"What do you mean?"

"Why we never really got away from each other? I know now...Ricky will always link us, but it isn't just him." He looked like he was choosing his next words carefully. "I'm going to pay and take you home. There's something I need to say though before I head back to New York. Meet me at the door?"

Rory nodded and went to wait for him. He met her, then put his hand on the small of her back. The same old spark came back and burned even hotter. They were both quiet on the way home. When he walked her to her door, he stopped and turned to her. "This is where I'm going to leave you tonight. I just have one question for you. Take as much time as you want, but I do want an answer eventually." She nodded and waited for him to continue, "are you happy?" He kissed her forehead and walked to his car leaving a stunned Rory on her doorstep.