Chapter 6

1976

It's been two years since Sandra Carlson signed the divorce papers. Robert Carlson leaving his family and his marriage was something that she never imagined could happen to her. You can never know what plans life has for you. Sandra thought the divorce would have destroyed her completely, but it actually had quite the opposite effect on Sandra. She became a much stronger person, well not right away of course.

Flashback

Sandra was sitting on her bed and she was reading the classifieds. After Robert's unexpected declaration that he was apparently "done" with their marriage, Sandra couldn't waste her time not doing anything. She had to find a steady job. Surprisingly, before Robert left the marriage, he left her some money which would be enough for at least a little over a year. This money would cover all her bills and all other expenses. How nice of him, Sandra thought sarcastically. Sandra was determined to find a job. Raising a four year old by herself wasn't going to be easy. She really had no one to turn to. That was a big issue for her: how would she find a steady job if there is no one to watch Amanda? That answer came in the form of Elizabeth Walsh who just happened to be Sandra's next door neighbor.

Elizabeth Walsh was a writer for Cosmopolitan magazine in New York. She had a degree in Journalism and she loved to write about fashion. Another topic she was very passionate to write about was empowerment for women.She wrote for about 20 years, but due to many changes in the magazine such as the hiring of the new editor-in-chief, Elizabeth felt that it was time for her to end her writing career. She was dictated about what she should write and she wasn't going to be dictated. Not too long after she quit, she moved to a nice and quiet neighborhood in California. She needed peace and quiet from all the chaos at Cosmopolitan magazine.

She witnessed how Robert Carlson walked out of Sandra's life on that fateful day of April 5th, 1974. He had some nerve to do that. Men are dirty dogs. They think with their other head. Elizabeth felt bad for Sandra. No one should go through something like this.

Elizabeth and Sandra did run into each other from time to time in the neighborhood. They've had many conversations and one afternoon Sandra just broke down and confessed everything about her marriage with Robert to Elizabeth. She also told her how she is struggling to find a job because there is no one who can help her to take care of Amanda. Elizabeth was more than glad to help her.

"Really, you would do that? But you barely know me." Sandra was surprised when Elizabeth agreed to help her babysit Amanda.

"It's no problem Sandra. You're a good person. You deserve someone to help you. I don't work at the moment and the magazine can do fine without me. I'm not going back there to work for those backstabbers." Elizabeth explained.

"Thank you so much Elizabeth. I'll be forever in your debt."

"Like I said before, I don't mind helping you. You're a mother and a woman who hasn't had it easy, and you shouldn't have to struggle anymore. Plus, I like Amanda. She's a very bright girl." Elizabeth said.