Chp. 23

(JACE'S POV)

"Clary," I whimpered, barely able to say her name. "I-I thought you were Valentine. A-and then Valentine sliced your throat and I couldn't stop myself."

Clary smiled a weak smile.

"Jace Lightwood," she stammered.

"Clary Fray," I said, tears rolling down my cheeks. She put her hand up weakly to my face and wiped them away.

"It's okay," she said. "It's okay."

"Clary, please, no-please!" I could hear the own desperation in my voice.

"Ever since I met you, I fell in love with you," her eyelids fluttered, as she tried to keep them open. "You'll always be my t-true love."

She looked me directly in the eye.

"It's okay. This is how I want to die. It's perfect. I'm in the arms of my first love, my only love. The person I'll always love," Clary whimpered.

"No, I shouldn't have kissed that other girl, this isn't how it's supposed to end," I said.

"Tell everyone I-I love th-them, especially you Jace, I love you," Clary cried.

"Clary I wanted to ask you, it seems pointless now, but I bought you something," I pulled out a ring. "Clay Fray, I will see you in heaven, and when I do, will you marry me?"

Clary cried even more. "Y-yes J-"

Clary's hand went limp on my face, and fell to my leg.

"Clary?!" I screamed. I shook her. "Clary, CLARY! Please wake up! Don't go to sleep, not yet! Clary please!" I said as tears rolled down, I didn't care who was watching.

My clary. Dead. I was the one who killed her. I would never survive this.

"Clary..." I whispered as I put my neck in her shoulder. "Mrs. Lightwood..rest in peace." I could barely make out the words. Tears just kept coming down.

I would never be able to fall in love again.

This can't be happening. This is a dream.

I laughed in between tears.

"You're not dead, Clary!" I smiled as I licked tears off my face.

"YOU'RE NOT DEAD, CLARY!" I screamed. "DON'T LEAVE ME!"

I sat there by her body as I heard someone whisper, "I told you that's how you two would end up if you didn't help me."