Chp. 14

(JACES POV)

I woke up at the edge of Lake Lyn. Clary sat by the water, skipping stones. She looked up as I approached her. Clary smiled, but said nothing. I sat next to her.

"Are you alright?" I said. "Where are you? Did Sebastian hurt you?"

"Open your eyes, Jace," she said, smiling.

"Clary-what? No! Tell me where you are! Are you safe? Clary!" I shouted, but she didn't seem to notice.

"Jace, open them," she said sternly. "Now." Clary picked up another stone and threw it at the water, except when she threw it, everything disappeared.

I looked up to see dark hair falling onto my face.

"Jace!" Isabelle screeched. "Wake up!"

I realized my moment with Clary was just a hallucination.

"Where's Clary?" I asked frantically.

Isabelle looked at me, confused.

"Clary? You saw her?" She asked.

"How did I get here?" I asked, ignoring her question.

"Uh-I I don't know, we heard a knock at the door and you were there, unconscious," Isabelle replied.

I sat up. "I need to find her," I whispered. "Now!"

^ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ^

(CLARYS POV)

"We couldn't take him with us?" I whined to Sebastian as he gripped my wrists tightly. "I didn't get to say goodbye." I felt tears sting my eyes.

No. Don't cry. You're a shadowhunter. You're strong. I thought. Even though I was saying those words, I wasn't sure I believed them.

"You'll get to say your goodbyes, all in good time lil sis," he said with a smirk.

He never did stop smirking. It made me want to just punch him repeatedly in the face.

"Why am I here?" I asked impatiently.

"You're the key into my master plan," he replied.

"Master plan? What are you, some kind of evil villain plotting the world destruction?" I asked sarcastically.

"Something like that," he grinned.

"So, what am I to you in your master plan?" I barked.

"As I said before: all in good times, sister, all in good times," he replied.

I threw my fist in the air ready for a punch when- I heard a sickening crack as he pushed my arm away from his face. I gasped. Pain shot through me.

"Don't mess with me," he snapped. "Or next time it'll be your head." And with that, he closed the door and locked it securely.

I was enclosed in darkness.