"what if it's still open?" i ask.

"that's a stretch right there."

"why?" rick says. "if the government were serious, they'd protect the cdc at all cost. we'd have shelter, protection, food."

"i want those things too, but our best shot is at the army base."

"hell no. that's over a 100 miles in the other direction." i say.

"that is right, but it's away from the war zone.
if that place is operational, it'd be armed. we'd be safe there."

"no. the cdc is our best shot. the army meds were at the front line." i argue. i was only arguing bc i didn't like shane and i thought the cdc was a good idea. "and it's jims only shot."

"ya'll do what you need to do, i'm gonna take care of this place." daryl goes after jim and i shake my head.

rick puts a gun up to his head and says, "we don't kill the living."

"funny comin' from a guy who had a gun up to my head. for the second time."

i can't help but laugh at that statement. everyone looks at me.

"what? it was funny."

>>

we were all at the funeral for our own. daryl had his arm wrapped tight around my waist, like somethin' bad was gonna happen.

andrea was currently putting amy in her grave. dale tried to help her, but she refused.

when it was over and everyone was buried, we walked back down to camp. i was walking with rick when i said, "you know i think we should go to the cdc. it's our best shot."

"i think the same. jim would do well, maybe they have a cure."

"you're takin' a lot on faith."

"isn't that why we went to church every sunday?" i laugh at his comment. our parents made us go to church every sunday and thursday. it was crazy.

"i need to talk to lori, take carl?" he asks. i nod.

"come on carl, let's go. i need to beat your ass at uno again."

"actually, i did the ass kicking."

"carl!" i scold and laugh.

we sit down at the table, me shuffling the cards. daryl was leaning against the tree watching us.

"come play." carl says.

"yeah dar, come play." he rolls his eyes and comes and sits down.

after a few rounds, carl and i have daryl beat.

"screw this man." he throws his cards down and walks away.

"anger issues." carl laughs.

"heard that!" daryl yells back.

one day when daryl and i were walking, he said i brought out the best in him.

i really hope he meant it.

anyways, back to uno. once daryl left, carl continued to beat my ass.

that's when i saw rick and shane go into the woods. i told carl to go find lori.

i had a really bad feeling about this. i grabbed my gun from my tent and went to follow them.

about 15 minutes into they heard me. that's when rick went off and shane pointed his gun at rick.

"you son of a bitch." i say to shane. he starts to chuckle lightly.

"guess we need to wear vests out here."

"go to hell. just wait until i tell rick." i threaten.

"you won't say shit."

"oh yeah? try me. hey-" he put his hand on my mouth.

"shut up." he hissed. i was afraid. like i was when i was 14.

"shane, please, please get off of me. i'm begging you."

"do i scare you?" i shook my head no.

lies.

"don't lie to me, princess." that's what he called me when he would...

"shane, please." i started crying. that's when i kicked him where the sun doesn't shine and i ran back to camp. i ran all the way to my tent and started crying. sobbing even.

once i had, had enough, i walked out of my tent.

"why were you cryin'?" i turn around and see daryl.

"i wasn't."

"liar." he says.

"i- i'll tell you later. okay?"

"you better."

daryl and i went to go with everyone. they were all surrounded by the mini fire that i her morales had built.

"those of you who agree, we leave first thing in the morning for the cdc." i didn't bother listening to the rest of shane's stupid speech.

all i cared about was getting the hell out of here.

>>