Family Reunion

Request by  Writeratheart330

I rushed around the room, looking for something to wear. There had to be something nice around here somewhere. I had on a pair of jeans and a plain purple shirt. My long brown hair pulled up in a simple ponytail. Clothes scattered across the floor, they were previously packed neatly in the chester drawers.

"Mommy?" My four year old daughter Lexi stood at the door.

"Yes, sweetie?" I rushed as I continued my search.

"Do I look okay?"

I turned to look at her. She wore a cute, flowery dress with white sandles.

"You look beautiful," I smiled at her.

"Katie! Are you ready to go yet? We have to be there like five minutes ago!" Devan yelled up the steps.

"I'm coming!" I yelled back, it's now or never.

I grabbed ahold of Lexi's hand and walked down the steps. 

"Are you nervous?" Devan asked as he locked the front door.

"Duh, this is the first time I have met all of your family and last time there wasn't that many people. Plus I don't think I made a good first impression." I put Lexi into the back seat and went to the passenger seat.

"It wasn't that bad." Devan sat down in the driver's seat.

"Oh really? Someone didn't tell me that I was meeting their whole family so I showed up looking like crap. I tripped over the steps. And lets not forget me spilling my drink all over your brother." I heard Lexi try to cover up a laugh.

"Okay for one, you never look like crap. You always look beautiful, just like my little princess in the back. You are clumsy, yes, but I still love you for it. And Collins loves you, even if you did spill your drink on him. Plus, my parents love you too, you even call them mama and papa key. So stop being so nervous, it will be okay." Devan held onto my hand as he drove to his parents house.

His whole family was in town for the reunion. I hadn't met most of them and Lexi won't know hardly any of them.

Deven parked along the sidewalk in front of his parents house. We made our way out of the car and to the front door. We could hear people talking inside, Devan didn't even bother knocking.

"Hey everyone," he said as we entered the house.  I just smiled and hoped they had all forgotten their first encounter with me.

"Uncle Collins!" Lexi spotted him sitting in one of the chairs and ran to him.

"Hey Lex," he laughed.

She jumped in his lap and started talking with him.

Devan and I walked to the back yard where most of the family was suppost to be.

"Hey mama key, do you need some help?" I asked Anne when I saw she had a bunch of plates of food in her arms.

"Yes please," she smiled.

I took a few plates from her arms and followed behind her. At one of the tables outside, a group of kids were laughing and waiting for their food. They gave a quick 'thank you' once the food was placed in front of them and started eating. Anne hurried off to talk with one of the other family members and I rejoined devans side.

"Is it as bad as you thought it was going to be?" He asked me.

"Okay, it isn't that bad. I mean I haven't fallen yet so that's a plus." I smiled.

"Lexi seems popular with the family. Everyone loves her." He watched our little girl run around the yard.

"That's cause it's Lexi, everyone loves her."

"She gets it from you." He looked over at me, placing an arm around my shoulder.

"Oh please, that's all you."

"Hey guys," Collins walked up to us.

"Hey Collins, where's Maya?" Maya was Collins' girlfriend.

"Oh we broke up. It just wasn't working out." He frowned.

"Don't worry, I'm sure you will find someone for you." I gave a reasurring smile.

"Uncle Collins! Come play with me!" Lexi called him over.

"Looks like I gotta run. I have to fulfill my uncle duties." Collins ran to Lexi and threw her onto his shoulders, making her burst off into a fit of laughter. Her face turned red.

"That's from your side of the family." I laughed when I noticed the laughing tears coming down both her and Collins' eyes.

"Yeah, that's definitely my side." He laughed in agreement.

The rest of the day was spent meeting the rest of the family and having a good time. Everyone was really nice and didn't mention the first incident any. Lexi was well loved by everyone. I don't get why I was nervous in the first place. These people have no choice but to love me. I'm part of the family now. The grand Key Family.