Chapter 13

Hey guys,

Please comment, vote, and follow!

Sorry for any grammar and editing mistakes!

Enjoy!

-&-

Chapter 13

       My chambers were more like a series of very large rooms connected through tall, open, wooden archways. Long windows lined in stone sat against the back wall and peaked through the other room- although, they were all covered in snow and ice.

       I could only stare at the rooms in awe. Even the house I shared with Mae and Leikos back in the village was smaller than these chambers. I stood just inside the door, my eyes gazing out at the little seating area that held a large fireplace and a few cushioned chairs sitting casually around the small table in the middle of the room.

       I tried not to let my mouth hang open like a fool as I dragged my heavy trunk into the room and closed the door slowly behind me. Someone, a servant probably, had already started a fire for me, and I welcomed the much-needed warmth.

       I dragged my luggage under the small archway that led to the spacious bed chamber with an even larger bed lying in the middle. I let out a tired sigh at the sight of the inviting blankets and pillows. Finally, a good night's rest. My body automatically headed for the bed, ready for the sleep it so desperately craved- until my eyes landed on the smaller room on the far side.

       It was a marble laded wash-room with steam rising from the already full bear-clawed tub. I turned slowly where I stood. Everything was so- pristine, so white. So elegant. I felt like an unworthy Underling just from looking at the glistening marble. I shook my head and tried to stifle a yawn, the King wouldn't have put me here if he didn't want me to be. I was allowed to enjoy the room- enjoy the warm bath water calling my name.

       There was a plush, white towel folded neatly on the marble counter top beside the tub, along with a thick, long-sleeved, dark blue dress that looked more than comfortable. I paused and chewed softly on my bottom lip. I had my own clothes, obviously they were for the Lower Kingdom, but still. Was the dress a gift? Or an obvious sign the King didn't approve of my other clothing?

       I shook my head of those ridiculous thoughts before hurriedly untying the thick cloak from around my shoulders, and shucking off the green tunic and black cotton pants. "Ah..." I moaned loudly as my stiff, cold, body sank into the relieving warmth of the bath. "So good..." I mumbled into the quiet air surrounding me.

       Quiet air- silent air.

       Was it always going to be this eerie?

       I spent longer than necessary in the water, but the soaps resting on the ledge beside me were too inviting, and felt like silk against my sore, dirty skin. I didn't climb out of the tub until the water had turned cold and brown from the dirt I had scrubbed from my skin and hair.

       The soft towel felt like heaven against my damp, pink, skin as I dried the water from my body. The air was still chilly, despite the heat from the fireplace filling my chambers, and I quickly reached for the thick blue dress. If it was a gift, refusing to wear it would be beyond rude. And if it wasn't- well, I would have to deal with my wardrobe some other time. The dress's fabric was soft, and snug against my skin, and instantly forced the cold from my aching limbs.

       I blinked up into the large mirror over the marble washbasin, and frowned. I looked- sad. Tired and upset. I was sad that Terif was blaming himself for what happened, upset that he felt like he deserved to be punished, and sad that the King barely even glanced my way. Like I was nothing. Honestly, I was nothing. Just a peasant girl with no true family and a strange energy that tried to kill her.