[Chapter 46]: Beneath the rubble

"Ah (y/n), you're awake." Recovery Girl leaned over the hospital bed upon seeing your eyes finally open.

"Recovery Girl? Wha... What happened? Where am I?" You weakly asked. It was still difficult to make out images through your blurred vision, but you could tell it was her.

"You're at Hosu General Hospital. About 10 hours ago, you were pulled from the rubble of a collapsed building in critical condition. Do you remember that (y/n)?" You slowly turned your head to the clock on the nightstand beside you. 

1:56 am huh?

"I..." It all started coming back to you. "The women who was with me... Is she alright?" Recovery Girl seemed surprised by your question, but nonetheless, she smiled.

"Really now (y/n)... Here you are worrying about others." She exhaled and leaned back in her seat. "She's absolutely fine besides some scratches. You took the entire weight of the fall. The other people you rescued are also safe." You sighed in relief.

"And Molten? What about the heroes?"

"Unfortunately Molten escaped. It couldn't be helped since we had primarily rescue heroes at the scene. But there were no civilian casualties."

"That's good... At least." You cringed, feeling a throbbing pain down your back just from twitching a bit.

"Please don't move (y/n). You're awake right now thanks to my recovery quirk, but you've used up far too much stamina and you're not fully healed still."

"Ah, I un..." You could feel your body forcing itself to shut down once more. "I understand..." 

And just like that, your eyelids fell shut. Recovery Girl smiled gently and got up from her seat. She placed a few candies on the side table before heading out the door.

-Hosu Hospital Waiting Room-

"Excuse me, where can I find the hot water miss?" Kanna questioned the front desk receptionist.

"Over there." She pointed to the table next to the door. "And are you sure it's alright that you're out of your room ma'am?"

"Yes yes, it's only a few scratches and bruises. Don't underestimate me cause I'm old." Kanna made her way over and began brewing herself some tea. As she waited for it to steep, she leaned up against the waiting room wall.

Kanna took note of the people around the room. It was the middle of the night so it wasn't very full. But somebody did catch her attention. A teenager, sitting alone with his knees pulled up onto his seat and his head resting on his crossed arms. Kanna glanced up at the boys spiky blond hair and then back down at him. Something clicked in her head. She walked over and stood in front of him.

"Hedgehog..." Katsuki's eyes instantly shot up from his knees. It took him a moment to realize who exactly the old women was.

"You're... You're the old lady from the Molten incident today... The one (y/n) saved." Katsuki spoke softly. He was exhausted and his attitude showed it for once.

"Ahh, so it is you. I could tell. You have the look of worrying for the one you love." Kanna smiled warmly. Katsuki's cheeks got red a bit but he didn't try to deny it like he normally would. He motioned his mouth to speak but was cut off. "Before you ask, she's alive. They still won't let anyone see her other than Recovery Girl." Katsuki's eyes widened. His brows furrowed as he pressed his forehead to his knees once more.

"Thank god..." His voice quivered as he tried to hold back tears. Kanna just watched the poor boy as he struggled to hold himself together. She sighed and took a seat next to him.

"What's your name? I doubt it's actually hedgehog." She questioned. For once Katsuki actually found the nickname boosting his mood.

"Katsuki Bakugou. I'm a student at UA like (y/n)."

"You're obviously more than classmates Bakugou." She chuckled and teased. Katsuki knew he didn't have anything to hide at this point. He pulled his head up and mumbled.

"We've been dating for a few months now..."

"I see. I don't blame you for falling for her. She's really something, that one." Katsuki's eyes softened at her words.

"She's amazing..." Kanna glanced over, noticing the sudden change from the boy's previous scowl. She smiled and whispered.

"Room 212." Katsuki eyes widened as he looked at her a bit confused. "In ten minutes go around to the back of the building. Her room will be on the second floor and the sixth one over. Look for the open window." Kanna got up, turned towards Katsuki, and winked. "I trust you'll figure out the rest Bakugou." Before she had a chance to walk away, Katsuki stood.

"Wait. Why the hell are you helping me? Couldn't you get in trouble?" He questioned. Kanna only laughed.

"You dumb kid. I almost died today, a little trouble is the least of my problems... Besides, when (y/n) was stuck under the rubble dying, you were the one she talked about." Katsuki's eyes widened. "You were the one who gave her hope when she thought it was the end. It only makes sense that the one she needs to see most is you. I owe her that much." Kanna said warmly. Katsuki felt moved. He took a step back and lowered his head in gratitude.

"Thank you... so much." Kanna grinned and gave him a quick pat on the head before grabbing her tea and heading back into the patient's section of the hospital. Katsuki took his seat once more and waited anxiously for ten minutes to pass.

- - -

Kanna had managed to sneak into the critical care ward without attracting attention to herself. She made her way to room 212 and opened the door quietly. Closing it behind her, she walked up to your bedside and took a moment to watch your peaceful sleeping face. She smiled before making her way over to the window, unlocking and pushing it open so that a gentle breeze flowed in.

"Just thought you needed some air is all dear." She chuckled to herself. As she passed back by your bed she whispered once more.

"Don't forget the promise you made to me when we were stuck beneath the rubble."