[Chapter 37]: Just skin

"Ah welcome home (y/n), did you break up with Bakugou already?" Takashi questioned jokingly as you walked through the door, Shouto trailing behind you. You threw a shoe at him and hissed.

"Shut up Takashi. This is Shouto Todoroki. He's my friend and we're working on a project together." He caught the shoe and smiled.

"Whoa there, I was kidding." Takashi walked over and shook Shouto's hand. "It's nice to meet you Todoroki. Forgive my joking manner. It's just (y/n) hasn't brought any other friends over beside Bakugou and Uraraka. I'm just happy to see she has more than two friends." 

Why you little... 

You held your fist up and quacked angrily, about to give Takashi a piece of your mind. Shouto interjected before you had a chance.

"Then I am pleased to inform you that (y/n)'s personality is extremely likable. She gets along well with most of the class." He smiled gently and released Takashi's hand before bowing forward. "Also, I'd like to thank you for welcoming me into your home."

You and Takashi stood there dumbfounded, jaws hanging open. In sync, you both rub your teary eyes. 

He's an angel.

You made your way up the stairs and to your room, swinging the door open eagerly with a grinned.

"Make yourself at home!" You threw your bag to the side and belly flopped onto your bed. "Ahhh bed sweet bed..." Rolling over, you glanced at Shouto who was still frozen in front of the door. What the... "Everything okay? I said you could come on in?"

"Uh, yeah. Sorry..." He rubbed the back of his neck and nervously stepped into the room. The flush on his face was obvious. "I've just... Never been in a girl's room before..."

Oh my god.

His shy expression was pure and adorable. You rolled onto the floor in front of your low rise table, patting the ground next to you.

"Well sit on down Todo-doki-doki. I don't bite, I promise." You joked, smiling brightly at him.

"W-What?! That's not how you say my name (y/n). It's pronounced Todoroki." His blushing intensified. 

I forgot, he doesn't understand jokes very well

You laughed and waved your hand.

"Sorry sorry. It was a joke. Go ahead and set your stuff on the table." Shouto nodded silently and did just that. He took a seat next to you and you both began working on your project.

Aizawa had made each group draw a body system out of a jar. You and Shouto got the integumentary system. Lucky you, it was a pretty easy one. You both sat there, reading through your textbook, taking note of things and helping each other out when you didn't understand a concept.

"So how do you wanna do this presentation. Slideshow, poster?" Shouto questioned.

"Hmm, I'd say poster. That way we can be artistic and shit. I'm sure using sparkles guarantees us at least a C!" You joked. Even Shouto chuckled a bit. "Ah, there it is again!"

"What?"

"That smile." You replied warmly. Shouto's eyes widened realizing how close he was to you. He turned his head away, the red on his face infecting his ears.

"Somebody told me I should smile more... I'm just taking their advice." You knew he meant you. You remember telling him that after you fought him. It warmed your soul.

He remembered all this time

"Whelp! Let's get started on this shall we?" Shouto looked back over and nodded in agreement.

- - -

You worked tirelessly for two hours. Both of you were busy people, so getting everything done in one night was probably for the best. Wiping his cheek, Shouto sat up from the table and sighed.

"We're done..." You sat up as well and stretched your arms back.

"All right!" You both looked over at each other and smiled. "Oh Shouto, ya got a big piece of glitter under your left eye." He reached up and tried to brush it off, but it was sticking. You laughed and leaned over. "I got it, you big goof."

The moment your fingers touched his cheek, he jumped slightly. You got in a bit closer and attempted to pull the glitter off. The feeling of your breath on his face made his heart pound. You couldn't help but glance into his eyes, and although your heart wasn't fluttering like Shouto's, you were still taken aback a bit.

"Your eyes are really pretty Shouto, especially the left one." His mouth dropped open a bit at your words before he reached up and removed your hand from his cheek.

"Please don't lie to me (y/n)..." It took you a moment to realize that you had struck a nerve. You glanced at his sorrow filled orbs, and it made your heart strain.

"I wouldn't lie to you Shout-"

"SHUT UP!" Your eyes widened, body jumping at his sudden voice shift. He brought his hand up, covering his left eye before sighing. "I'm sorry (y/n)... I just..."

"You don't need to apologize. I get it, you're self-conscious about your burn." His face softened as he brought his hand down and looked at you.

"You don't need to pretend like you understand, I just said don't lie-"

"I'm not." You retorted firmly. A feeling of resolve came over you as you shuffled around on your knees to face away from Shouto. Grasping the bottom of your shirt, you started pulling it up.

"(Y/N)?! S-STOP, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" The poor flustered boy covered his eyes quickly, waving his other hand and trying to signal you to stop. You continued, pulling the shirt over your head and holding it against your chest. Taking a deep breath, you called out to him.

"Look."

Shouto shyly removed his hand from his face and looked up. It took him a moment to register what exactly he saw and why you did what you did. His eyes traced the large patch of marred flesh between your shoulder blades.

There was a moment of prolonged silence. He wanted nothing more than to reach out, touch you, and listen to all you had to tell him. But he restrained himself and waited for you to speak.

"Shouto, take a good look. It's just skin."