[Chapter 41]: In silence

"Oh Bakugou, you're going home already?" Takashi called up to the blond as he descended down the stairs.

"Yeah, your dumbass sister fell asleep again."

"Ahh, sounds like her. She doesn't get enough sleep most nights that girl." Katsuki smiled a bit, thinking about your dorky sleeping face before continuing towards the door. "Wait a second Bakugou." He halted and glanced over at Takashi. "If you have a moment, I'd like to talk with you."

"So what did you want to talk about?" Katsuki had taken a seat on the couch adjacent to Takashi. He fidgeted around a bit, uncomfortable. Sure he had talked to Takashi lots of times, but he had never really sat down and had an extended conversation with him.

"Bakugou, do you like (y/n)?" Katsuki nearly choked on air at his question.

"Eh? What the fu- errr I mean what do you mean? Of course I like her. Why would you question that?" Takashi crossed his arms and grinned.

"Just gotta make sure you're not after my sister for her body obviously. You know, big brother stuff." Katsuki peered at him in a puzzled fashion.

"There's more to it."

"Hmm, you're pretty sharp." He chuckled in response before a serious expression replaced his usually cheerful face. "Just how much do you know Bakugou?" Katsuki's eyes shot up at Takashi and the room fell silent.

"As far as I know, everything. I know about her quirk, the endless abuse, and trials she endured just to have it forced on her. I know about the night where she unintentionally activated it and reduced her family home and everybody inside to dust. The custody struggle between the military and heroes association. The trauma and backlash she feels now, I'm well aware of it all."

"Wow... She really does trust yo-"

"I love her."

Takashi's gaze shot up at Katsuki, eyes locking in the boy's fiery orbs, taking in what exactly he just said.

"Bakugou, do you realize the weight that those words carry?" Takashi asked sternly.

"Frankly, I don't give a shit. So whatever you're about to say about me getting in over my head, save your breath."

"So you're telling me that you're willing to trudge through an ocean of shit, just to get to a paradise that may or may not be there?"

"The fuck are you using metaphors for? I love her, it's as simple as that. I'm not gonna abandon her no matter what comes her way." Katsuki crossed his arms and huffed. Takashi couldn't even believe it. His jaw just dropped as he sat there in silence, unable to comprehend the boy's words. And then, he just laughed.

"You really are something else Bakugou... Very well. I'm about to tell you something that you must not repeat to anyone, especially (y/n)." Katsuki raised an eyebrow and leaned forward, his elbows resting on his knees as he listened intently.

"Before (y/n) was released into the custody of the UA staff, the military required that there was a plan B to execute her should the need arise..." Takashi swallowed thickly and placed a hand on the back of his neck. "A microchip was implanted at the base of her skull that could be activated from multiple outside consoles. Upon activation, it would cause a hemorrhage that would cut off the blood supply to her brain stem and instantly kil-"

"WHAT THE FUCK?!" Katsuki slammed his fists against his knees, eyes cast downward as his teeth ground against each other angrily.

"Please wait until I'm done Bakugou." Takashi calmly asked. Katsuki reluctantly unclenched his fists, resigning himself to listen further.

"As I was saying, the microchip would kill her instantly if activated. It's small enough that it is undetectable through x-rays to prevent her from learning about it. I've also been informed that attempting to remove it would cause it to automatically trigger, so surgery isn't an option... The activation code is only known by three people, the UA principle Nezu, your homeroom teacher Shouta Aizawa, and me. Only the people she trusts that watch her... And I'd like you to know it as well-"

"Not a chance," Katsuki growled. Takashi huffed and continued.

"You're thinking like a child Bakugou."

"She doesn't deserve something like this, not now and not ever."

"She is responsible for the death of 33 people. That's 33 families who're lives are forever changed. That's a mass murder-"

"DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE FINISH THAT. IT WASN'T HER FAULT, AND YOU KNOW THAT BETTER THEN ANYONE!" Katsuki stood up from the couch, shaking violently in an attempt to hold it together.

"Relax, I don't think she's a murderer. I know she wasn't at fault. But you need to understand that she is lucky to have been allowed to live outside confinement at all. This microchip is a small price to pay for that freedom."

"Fucking stop it... JUST STOP IT..." Takashi went silent and allowed Katsuki to speak. "You're still talking about her like she's some damn bomb. She needs you now more than ever to support her. You're not her supervisor, you're the last fucking family she has SO ACT LIKE IT." Katsuki didn't even wait for him to respond. He just grabbed his stuff from the couch and headed out the door, slamming it angrily in the process.

Takashi could only sit there in silence, staring at his hands with a solemn expression on his face.