| 6 | - Welcome Home

Where the hell are we..?

Having never been this deep into this sector before, I know I am in very unfamiliar grounds. I follow Efrem in silence as we step out of the courthouse and onto the concrete steps that descend to the pavement of the parking lot.

After I had taken his hand and he helped me up from that carpet floor, he moved his touch to the small of my back to guide me to wherever he is taking me now. His touch doesn't leave me, clinging onto me like it's his right to. While I don't know anything about him, the way he walks beside me, his hold on me, I can tell, he's naturally possessive.

I don't know what to think of it but I also don't dwell on it as I'm preoccupied with the eyes staring at me as we make our way across the lot. From the couple of times I glance at Efrem, it seems as if he doesn't notice them or he simply doesn't care for them.

I'm thankful and I can almost admire him for it.

If he cared about what others thought, I know the decision made today would have been a much different one. Although, in this case...I'm not too sure if the decision made today is any better than immediate execution at the hands of Talos' authority.

Apparently...according to that Arbiter and whatever fucked up mind came up with this damn system, I am no longer a person but mere property.

Suddenly, the pressure Efrem keeps on the small of my back eases and I halt on my tracks as we come to a stop at the back door of the driver's side of a parked SUV. He doesn't look at me when he moves his unoccupied hand to the handle of the car's door and pulls it open.

With this, Efrem moves his touch from me and motions at the gray polyester seat as he demands, "Get in."

With an uneasiness lingering in my chest, I hesitate as I glance back to see if anyone is still anywhere near us. The thought of attempting to make a run for it, hoping that perhaps I'll find a way into the forest, does cross my mind. However, I also understand that I have not the slightest clue of how far the woods are or how long I can run before I get caught again.

If I get caught again—or better yet—when I get caught again, I am done for, for good.

I draw a shaky breath, glancing up at Efrem one last time before I proceed to hop into the vehicle and sit on the cushioned seat. Goosebumps conceal my skin, the cool air from the vent on the ceiling of the car hitting my bare skin. I flinch when Efem abruptly shuts the door beside me, and my eyes follow him as he makes his way around the back of the vehicle.

The heel of my bare foot anxiously taps against the car floor, unsure of what to expect next. Seconds later, my gaze stops with Efrem as he stands on the other side of the door to my far right side. When It seems as if he is going to open it, he suddenly pauses his movements, blocking half of the window as he turns to give it his back.

I can't tell what's going on, but my curiosity gets the best of me as I move closer, leaning to the side for a better view.

I see Deonta'e standing in front of him alone, clearly discussing something between them. Judging by his demeanor, it seems to me that Deonta'e and Efrem are good friends, which takes me back to the incident in the courtroom.

I wonder...

Were they both in on sparing my life? If so, why did they? Is that what they are discussing now?

I furrow my eyebrows as I continue to lean in closer, almost to entirely shift to the other side. However, I don't get to pry on the situation much longer because when I am about to completely move across, the sound of the door clicking open meets my ears and I catch sight of the small light on the ceiling that turns on as Efrem pulls the door outward.