Chapter 14

I had missed the man's head by mere inches. The man ducked behind the bookshelf. 

"Who's there?" he asked. 

"Someone who was here first. There's nothing here. So please just take your group and leave. I don't want any trouble," I managed to choke out.

My voice cracking for not having used it in so long. The others downstairs had obviously heard the shot and were making their way upstairs. They stopped abruptly however. The man was silent.

"Please. Just go and leave me alone," I said when he didn't reply.

More silence. What was he waiting for? I was getting tired of this. So I got up and made my way around the bookshelf my gun held at the ready. I got closer then was able to see the man that was crouched behind the shelf, he looked up at me with a sign of recognition on his face.

"Amelia?" he finally said.

I looked closer and I dropped my gun when I realized who it was.

"Uncle Rick?" I said my voice cracking once more.

But this time, due to the tears that had started to form.

"Amelia," he said again getting up and making his way to me.

He embraced me in his arms while I gave into his hug. Letting the tears fall as I buried my face in his chest.

"I thought I'd never find you," I said through the tears.

"You're here. You're okay." I said again.

He hugged me tighter. He sniffled as he held me in his arms. We then parted and he looked at me. His eyes filled with tears as well.

"Your voice sounded familiar. That's why I didn't say anything. I wanted to make sure that I wasn't imagining it," he said putting his hand on my cheek.

Our foreheads touching.

"And Lori? Carl? Are they okay?" I asked moving away to look at him.

"Yeah. They're good. You've grown," he said.

"It's been quite some time, I know," I said.

Just then the man with the crossbow came in.

"Rick? Who the hell is this?" he asked.

I looked at him and wiped my eyes.

"Daryl, this is my niece, Amelia. It's okay." Rick said.

"You sure? She shot at you," he said while he paced back and forth, eyeing me the entire time.

"I didn't even know it was him. I honestly thought it was you. I saw you out the window there," I said making sure I sounded annoyed.

"Well, I sure as hell would have put you down if I came up here. Ain't you glad I didn't," the man named Daryl said.

"Hey stop. Daryl she's my niece. She's coming with us so it would be smart to play nice," Rick said.

"What the hell man? We don't even know if she's good. Doubt the others will want her," Daryl said.

"She's family. She's coming with us," Rick repeated.

"Dad? Everything okay?" A little boy asked coming into view.

"Its fine Carl...I'd like to introduce you to your cousin, Amelia," Rick said.

I looked at Carl. He looked just like Rick. He was wearing a sheriff's hat. Rick must have given it to him.

"My cousin? Did you fire the shot?" Carl asked very sternly.

I was speechless. I was still processing the fact that I was meeting my little cousin for the very first time.