Chapter 6

We gathered our things and left out the back door. There were no biters in sight. We took the quickest route. It was a hot one but it was typical Southern weather. We had a decent amount of water now that we stopped at that house. I just hope it would last us the rest of the day. 

"So, we getting any closer?" Dad asked. 

"Dad we just started. I doubt we've even walked a mile," I replied.

"Well you're the navigator," he said. 

"Since when?" I asked.

"Well since you're the one who seems to know how to handle herself in this particular situation," he retorted. 

"I really don't know all that much, dad. You taught me all of this. All those times we went on hikes. You taught me how to survive," I said recalling the many hikes he took me on. 

"I did, didn't I? Well then, my job is done," he said. 

We laughed. I looked back at mom and Max. 

"You guys doing okay?" I asked them both. 

"Yeah. For now." Max said. 

"Sorry, bud. This is how it has to be," I said. 

"I know. It doesn't mean I have to like it," he whined. 

"I know. Mom? You doing okay?" I asked. 

"Yes honey. Thankfully I brought walking shoes," she said giving a light chuckle. 

"That's good. We'll be there soon," I promised. 

"Amelia, come here," mom said. 

I let dad and Max take the lead. 

"What's wrong?" I asked with a look of concern on my face. 

"Nothing's wrong, dear I just wanted to give you something," she said. 

She handed me a necklace. 

"Wait, isn't this yours?" I asked taking the necklace in my hand. 

"Yes but I'm giving it to you. I was hoping to make it a graduation present but that's obviously not going to happen. So might as well give it you now," she continued. 

I looked at it. It was beautiful.

"It's a locket!" I exclaimed. 

"Yes it is. Open it," she said eagerly. 

I did as she asked. Inside was a family photo we had taken a few years back.

"Mom. It's beautiful. Thank you," I said. 

I gave her a hug. 

"I love you. You know that, right?" I said when we parted. 

"Of course, sweetheart. I love you too. Let's keep going, huh?" she continued. 

"Yeah. Let's go," I said. 

We headed towards dad and Max hand in hand. It reminded me of when I was younger. Mom always held my hand. Whenever we went out, she'd extend her hand to me and I always took it. As we continued walking, there were trees that were pretty huge. It had been a long time since I've been through woods like this. And especially in the South. We'd always go further north when we'd go out hiking. I was busy admiring the thickness of the trees and I didn't see what was coming. Suddenly, out of nowhere, a biter came out behind one of the trees and gripped my mother and tore into her neck. 

"NO!!!!" I screamed, still holding onto her hand. 

But it was too late. Blood was spewing everywhere. I had never seen so much before. Even with Jonathan, it wasn't as much as I was seeing now. I shoved the biter away from her and put it down. Dad and Max rushed over. I knelt down and looked at her bite.

"Mom! No! Oh God." I said. 

There was so much blood. 

"Honey what do we do? How do we save her?!" Dad asked. 

I looked at mom. There was no saving her. This was it. 

"We can't. Look where the bite is," I said. 

I had started to cry at this point. 

"No. There has to be something we can do. Sweetheart, I'm not losing you," he said, holding onto her.

He held my mom in his arms. 

"Honey...it's...okay....you...you gotta keep going," mom managed to say. 

"No. Not without you," dad replied. 

My dad was crying as well. 

"You...have...to..." mom said, her breath slowing down with every word she said. 

"Find...Rick. Tell...tell him...I'm sorry," she choked out.

She looked at me. 

"Will...w-will you...do that f-for me...sweetie?" she asked. 

I suddenly realized that this was her final wish. The tears in my eyes made it hard to speak. 

"Y-yes. Mom," I said. 

"P-promise?" She asked. 

"Promise," I promised. 

"I-I l-love...you...you two...were...the best...part...of my...life," she said.

Her breath was even slower when she got that last part out. She looked up at my father. She reached out her hand and placed it on his cheek wiping away some of his tears. 

"You...me...forever," she choked out. 

"Forever, my love," dad replied. 

She took one last breath and then she was gone. We all knelt there. It was quiet. The only sound that was heard was us, crying our eyes out. Dad held onto her for one last time. He wasn't ready to let go. Neither of us were. Not long after that, we heard grunting. We looked around. But there wasn't a biter around. We then realized it was coming from mom. 

"Dad move away! NOW!" I yelled. 

He moved just before she could sink her teeth into his neck. We stood back and watched as she slowly got up and made her way to us. Arms reaching in front of her. 

"What do we do?" Dad asked. 

There was only one thing to do. I grabbed my knife and walked towards her. She reached for me but I moved away from her grip. I looked at her. Her eyes no longer those of my mother. They were cloudy. Dead. She was no longer my mom. She was something else. 

But I couldn't resist saying, "I love you, mom." 

And then I dove the knife into her skull.